lights for softbox?

I am planning to shoot some athletes indoors on a "Large dance floor". There is already a custom overhead softbox built. I am looking to provide constant even light. Any suggestions for lights?

We'll be shooting with 3 HVX200s.

• Premium Member
I am planning to shoot some athletes indoors on a "Large dance floor". There is already a custom overhead softbox built. I am looking to provide constant even light. Any suggestions for lights?

We'll be shooting with 3 HVX200s.

So you want soft even toplight...and you have access to a custom-built overhead softbox...and you're not going to use it? Are you nuts?

If you using a conventional soft box. (that being a box that is made of bounce card and some sort of diffusion covering the bottom of it) It would depend on the space. You want even fill but not from one source. I would reccommend several smaller heads inside of the box. Try 1K nook lights or some sort of openface fixture. The nooks would be your best option, then blondes, redheads and so on.

On the last shoot i was on, the gaffer had two 5k's that crossed the box and bounced off the show card and then through the diffusion out the front. Very soft light since it is bounced and then goes through diffusion and there is no apparent source. I've also used the 1k nooks like Eric suggested above. Depends on how much light you need.