light meter question

freddie bonfanti

hi all

im testing my new 814xl´s internal meter with a sekonic 558. i noticed a few stops of difference and i was wondering why...i think that the problem is that i set my meter at 64 when probably the camera´s one is preset to a different ISO number. but then i dont understand why the camera suggests to shoot at 5.6 and the sekonic incidental reading at 2.0, i mean i doubt the camera is preset at a higher ISO number...

is the meter faulty?

The readings from your camera and light meter are going to differ, independant of whatever techniques you might use to take a light reading, because of the light absorbed by the lens elements and the viewfinder, and the longer the focal length, the more light absorbed.

My camera (a Nizo 801m) shows anywhere from 1/2 stop to 3-3 1/2 stops difference at shortest and longest focal lengths, when compared to readings in the same light from my light meter (a Gossen Lunapro Digital). The difference between them is described as the difference between f-stops and t-stops.

The readings from your camera and light meter are going to differ, independant of whatever techniques you might use to take a light reading, because of the light absorbed by the lens elements and the viewfinder, and the longer the focal length, the more light absorbed.

therefore what should i trust? should be the incidental lightmeter, right?

hi,

metering a grey card was my safest option, the sekonic l 558 has a spotmeter function so i made measurements with both spotmeters. the camera´s one was 2 stops over. the i took an incidental reading in a room and i took another reading with the camera and still, 2 stops over.

id rather rely on the sekonic as i always use it