HDV, Premiere Pro and Slow Motion

Seth Mondragon

Well, I'm just starting to learn the world of HDV and I'm hoping somebody can give me some good feedback. I've been using DV for several years now doing mostly weddings, which means I use a lot of slow-motion. My typical procedure while editing in Premiere Pro 1.5 is to just right-click, speed/duration, adjust it to 50% and tada...buttery smooth slow-motion. Of course, this is when the original footage is at 29.97fps. Is it just as simple to slow down in post using HDV and get smooth results or is shooting at 24p going to cause some problems when it comes to slow-motion? Hopefully somebody using Premiere Pro can help me out. Like I said, I don't know much about all the HDV stuff yet, although I just purchased the 2nd Edition of HDV: What You Need To Know, which is supposed to be a pretty good start. Thanks for anybody's help!

What kind of camera are you using? The HDV Camera's dont really shoot at 24 frames a second but do a interpolation kind of like the panasonic 100a. I know using the Cineframe 24 mode on the sony cameras makes it more difficult to do slow-mo as the motion blur is not the same as film. Not knowing your camera I would recommend looking into Cineform, its a codec company that has an intermediate codec for capturing the m2t files that HDV uses. Its capture device as an automatic slow down button for lack of a better word but this slowdown happens during the capturing process. Hope this helps.

thanks for your response, mark. I'm not actually shooting anything with the HDV stuff yet, but I'm looking into the JVC HD-110. I figure I should start finding out what I need to know now before I get everything. Another videographer I met who is doing wedding work using the Sonv HDV cam said he uses a program called Twixtor that he applies to his slow-motion stuff. Here's a link to his video sample page: http://www.hdbride.com/videos.html and assuming he used Twixtor on these, I'd say it looks pretty good. Anyway, thanks again.