Dummy Loads?

Jordan Brade

I'm going to be starting a short film soon, the only problem is I've never shot on film before. I would like to practice loading the film in the camera magazine before I have to do it in a loading bag with stock I can't afford to waste.

So the question is, does anyone have any old 16mm film stock that's no good that I'd be able to use as a dummy load and practice loading my camera?

Guest david west
I'm located in Phoenix, Arizona.

perhaps ebay for some "junk" film, and do a zipcode search so you can find some close enough to drive across town and pick up... just a thought...

I've been looking on ebay for awhile to find some film, but most of the time people have whole lots of film for a lot more money than I'm willing to spend on something that's just going to be a dummy load.

I also asked the guy that handles the student film projects at Fuji (I'm ordering film for my project from them), and he says he doesn't have anymore dummy loads lying around.

There is one auction that I'm looking at on ebay. I just wanted to come here first to see if I could get a dummy load for free or for the price of shipping.

• Premium Member

Scrap unprocessed film still has value, as silver can be recovered from it.

You might see if any lab or production company has scrap processed camera film to use for practice.

Kodak FPC does sell fogged "scratch test leader":

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...18.10&lc=en