North Carolina School of the Arts?

• 6 months later...
I'm looking for input on NCSotA. I was looking into it years ago when I graduated High School, but got sidetracked.

Anyone have any input for me on this school?

I have a friend who went there when the school was just starting up its film program. Apparently, if you're looking for a more relaxed environment, it's the place to be. I obviously can't go into detail, because it's his experience, not mine...but that's as much as I understood.

Edited by Robert Lachenay

I wouldn't call it relaxed, it's an intensive 4 year program with a heavy emphasis on hands on training and a high level of exposure to shooting 16mm film. They just this term added a Panavision 35 class they hope to perpetuate in the future. But at the very least you'll shoot 16 and Super 16 on K3s first. Then Arri S followed by the SRII and the SRIII High Speed.

The equipment is great and well maintained, I should I know, I helped maintain it.

If you're looking for a lot of hands on filmmaking classes and excersises I can't recommend the program more. With 3 sound stages available for production, a fantastic Production Design department, and some great teachers supported by a stellar staff it is a great school.

It's currently going through some major changes, but all for the best. David Elkins, writer of The Camera Assistant's manual is the interum Dean of the film school and is overseeing some really excellent and exciting achievements.

An animation program has just begun, and the school's film archive is one of the 3-5 largest in America now being run by Head Archivist David Spencer (a graduate of the Eastman House Film Preservation Program) and Assistant Archivist Matthew Jones. With around 30 thousand 35mm prints and a large collection of 70mm prints this is a massive drawing card for prospective students.

As far as the cinematography program is concerned, our most famous graduate is Tim Orr, and two weeks ago Brian Melton won the Student ASC award. The cinematography faculty are David Elkins, Richard Clabaugh, Bill McCord, and new commer John Le Blanc.

This is a brief overview, if you want more details, please ask.

I wouldn't call it relaxed, it's an intensive 4 year program with a heavy emphasis on hands on training and a high level of exposure to shooting 16mm film.

Relaxed as far as it's location and the commaradery of the students, in comparison to cut-throat places like LA or NYC. I believe he was referring more to the fact that it's west salem where it's easier to make allies and acquaintances than NYC or LA.

That's true, it is a bit less intense as far as fighting for jobs in school goes, but you still encounter a lot of competition.

I forgot to mention, there are 4 movie theaters/screening rooms on film school campus. All are equiped to run 35 and 16, and the largest theater seats around 300 people and can run 16, 35, and 70mm.