DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

can you please tell me what type of bolex this is ?what brand an types of lens i have?

also i need to keen this bit out,what is the best way please(dust an stuff.)

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

imalso lookign to buy a bolex reflex viewfinder does anyone have one for sale or know were i colud buy one online please?thanks for your time

Hi there

This site can help you ID your bolex

http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/bolex/history/index.html

The reflex viewfinders are kinda hard to get second hand (why would you get rid of it?) , but you can either try buying another bolex for parts off of ebay, or you can go the expensive route and contact someone like Chambliss (not sure if they have a website or not), they're the US dealer in Bolex and they're expensive, IMO.

I've never tried this guy but he seems to have lots of stuff:

http://www.igorcamera.com/motion_picture_equipment.htm

good luck

G

My first Bolex was like yours, I think it could only run double-perf film. It's an early model late-40's or early 50's, have to check the serial number in my copy of the Bolex Bible. As for your lenses, don't use the Comiscar, it's a tv lens. The others look like a Berthiot and a B&H. You should try to find some Yvars or Switars for your camera. My Rex5 came with Schneiders and those work fine too. I did buy a top focusing finder on eBay, though it was for a 16mm Bolex I use it on my H8.

Hi there

This site can help you ID your bolex

http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/bolex/history/index.html

The reflex viewfinders are kinda hard to get second hand (why would you get rid of it?) , but you can either try buying another bolex for parts off of ebay, or you can go the expensive route and contact someone like Chambliss (not sure if they have a website or not), they're the US dealer in Bolex and they're expensive, IMO.

I've never tried this guy but he seems to have lots of stuff:

http://www.igorcamera.com/motion_picture_equipment.htm

good luck

G

hey mate thanks for those wewbsites!i got the camera off ebay and it did not come with a reflex viewfinder

.also does anyone know how to clean the inside of this part it has dust a stuff in it?DSC00604.jpg

It's not really a reflex finder but a focus finder which allows you to focus through a lens when it is positioned in the top position. To clean that prism you should be able to rotate the turret out of the way and get to the screws which hold the prism assembly and pull it out from the front. My "Bolex Bible" identifies the serial number on your camera as being made around 1959. So yours might have the single perf sprockets. The side finder you have is normally supplied with the H16T and H16M models. Yours is probably the H16T which is a simplified version of the H16S, a standard model from the late 1950's to the mid 1960's.

It's not really a reflex finder but a focus finder which allows you to focus through a lens when it is positioned in the top position. To clean that prism you should be able to rotate the turret out of the way and get to the screws which hold the prism assembly and pull it out from the front. My "Bolex Bible" identifies the serial number on your camera as being made around 1959. So yours might have the single perf sprockets. The side finder you have is normally supplied with the H16T and H16M models. Yours is probably the H16T which is a simplified version of the H16S, a standard model from the late 1950's to the mid 1960's.

its my camera a reflex or not?

No the camera is not reflex, and two of your lenses seem to have fungus, and they are not worth having repaired(even if that was possible, which may not be). Sorry to tell you this, but I don't think you should put any money or film in that camera.

The rusting and pitting showing in some of the close-up pictures give an indication the camera may not have been taken care of. That's the chances you take when buying cameras from eBay. Sellers can claim they know nothing of cameras and sell them with no guarantee which releases them from any liability. For something like a Bolex I would rather buy from a reliable dealer or another filmmaker who took care of his gear. I got my Rex5 from a member at the Filmshooting forum and he says it was serviced in Germany before he sold it so me. In the past I did buy a good Bolex M5 off eBay and was lucky with the purchase since it came with a nice Pan Cinor 85 reflex zoom. Good deals are hard to find lately but if you ask questions and know what you are looking for you might get lucky.

I have come across Bolexes at a local camera show and I inspect them carefully if I decide to want to buy one. One thing I do is wind it up and run it while holding the camera to my ear. I try to listen for smooth running mechanism. Also check the insides, look for wear and any corrosion. Remove the lens and check the gate. Investing in a good camera is like buying a car. A Bolex is a good investment for a versatile 16mm camera but there is so much junk out there you have to be careful.

If it?s any consolation, I paid too much for my first Bolex (Rex1 1962) also. It?s a great camera, but I could have gotten the equivalent or better for a lot less with a little more research.

I was really excited about shooting my own 16mm film and my eye turned to spirals when I first saw it, ?ooh, it?s in a pelican case. It must be a good one?

Don?t worry, your next one will be much better.

Research.