Kodak 5248, too old?

Mark Heim

Hello,

I am shooting a short film next month on 35mm. We found a great deal on some 5248 100T, but I'm worried as to if it's still okay to shoot. We are planning to shoot a test next week to compare it to the Fuji 250D. I've heard since the 48 is a lower speed film it will last much longer than say a 500asa stock. I'm just not sure if its worth the risk. Any advice on the stock would be great. Also, how does the 48 push?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hello,

I am shooting a short film next month on 35mm. We found a great deal on some 5248 100T, but I'm worried as to if it's still okay to shoot. We are planning to shoot a test next week to compare it to the Fuji 250D. I've heard since the 48 is a lower speed film it will last much longer than say a 500asa stock. I'm just not sure if its worth the risk. Any advice on the stock would be great. Also, how does the 48 push?

Thanks

5248 keeps very well under proper refrigerated storage conditions. In general, slower films are less affected by ambient radiation like gamma rays.

If the film has not been refrigerated, might have been x-rayed, or is more than two years old, you should have your lab run a "clip test" on each roll to be sure there is no significant fogging. Better yet, run a picture test to be sure you see no increase in graininess or loss of speed/contrast.

5248 responded well to a push-1 process.