Blurred Footage!!

Brian Rose

I just got some test footage back from a new camera I bought, a Bealieu 5008 MS, and I noticed the oddest blurring. The image was more or less intact, but for some objects in the distance, I could see horizontal ghosting...essentially, things like trees and distant buildings were doubled, with one, fainter image on top of the other. I thought it might be a registration issue, yet I noticed that this effect was less pronounced, or even absent entirely with objects in the foreground. Only the more distant subjects exhibited this doubling of the image. Could this be a lens or filter issue? I shot using an external daylight filter, mounted in a detachable frame holder. Once I am able, I'll post some frame grabs. Until then, any advice would be most appreciated!

Best,

Brian Rose

Weird. I know when I?ve lost my loop in my 16mm camera I?ve gotten a similar effect, but not the difference between foreground / background.

In fact recently with a DS8, I didn?t get distinct ghosting, more like the lighter parts of the image are smeared vertically.

The film stops for a moment while the shutters open to expose the film. The ghost is from the film moving while the shutters still open.

But in a regular super 8 camera you shouldn?t have to worry about the loop. Defective cartridge? Shutter problem?

Weird.

Edited by Peter Tripodi

Guest shutter bug
Weird. I know when I?ve lost my loop in my 16mm camera I?ve gotten a similar effect, but not the difference between foreground / background.

In fact recently with a DS8, I didn?t get distinct ghosting, more like the lighter parts of the image are smeared vertically.

The film stops for a moment while the shutters open to expose the film. The ghost is from the film moving while the shutters still open.

But in a regular super 8 camera you shouldn?t have to worry about the loop. Defective cartridge? Shutter problem?

Weird.

sounds like you need a service. what kind of camera?scoopic?

Guest Russ Eaton

While I haven't worked with the Bealieu I have had a problem that may be related to yours with a Bolex.

It was a pressure plate mis-adjustment after threading and it caused the film to buckle in front of the

gate at the moment of exposure. made for some interesting effects but the client wasn't happy.

good luck.

Russ Eaton

• Premium Member
While I haven't worked with the Bealieu I have had a problem that may be related to yours with a Bolex.

It was a pressure plate mis-adjustment after threading and it caused the film to buckle in front of the

gate at the moment of exposure. made for some interesting effects but the client wasn't happy.

good luck.

Russ Eaton

I had the same problem a WHILE back, but I believe that was due some improper loading on my part. It looked like the film had been getting pushed through the camera far slower than the rate the shutter was moving at causing a smearing effect.

Interesting to look at but totally ruined the footage.

sounds like you need a service. what kind of camera?scoopic?

Nope, user error loading my Bolex(s). It seems the first thing I forget if I haven't shot in a long while is closing the loop formers when I load.

I'm very consistant with this :(

Interesting you should say Scoopic.

And once (only once... so far) I didn't seat the pressure after cleaning the gate and got the same effect as Russ.

Intreresting effect yes.

It will all be in my new tell all book, "Peter Tripodi, the bad DP" :)

Edited by Peter Tripodi

• 1 month later...
I just got some test footage back from a new camera I bought, a Bealieu 5008 MS, and I noticed the oddest blurring. The image was more or less intact, but for some objects in the distance, I could see horizontal ghosting...essentially, things like trees and distant buildings were doubled, with one, fainter image on top of the other. I thought it might be a registration issue, yet I noticed that this effect was less pronounced, or even absent entirely with objects in the foreground. Only the more distant subjects exhibited this doubling of the image. Could this be a lens or filter issue? I shot using an external daylight filter, mounted in a detachable frame holder. Once I am able, I'll post some frame grabs. Until then, any advice would be most appreciated!

Best,

Brian Rose

Brian,

While searching for posts related to my Bolex EBM problem, I came across your post about the Super 8 horizontal image doubling you experienced a couple months ago. I had a similar problem with some 16mm reversal footage I shot. You can check out my post at

Horizontal Ghosting post

I've come up with theories about loose lens, broken lens, light getting through the anti-halation and re-exposing the image, etc.

Did you ever manage to figure out the problem?

Thanks!

-Ward Crockett