P+S mini 35mm adapter vs. the Movietube? (with HVX-200)

Michael Totten

Gearing up for a short film a couple weeks out. It's a western... so it'll be 95% daylight exteriors. Some of the establishing shots are going to be LANDSCAPE WIDE (I'm a little worried about those) as I understand the HVX doesn't render wide/landscape well. Hmmm :blink:

We already have access to an HVX-200, so that's most likely the camera that we'll use so most likely we'll just have to make due with what we've got. We do however want to use 35mm prime lens and we're considering both the P+S as well as the movietube. What are the pros and cons of each?

I want the best image possible. does anybody have experience with both?

Read some earlier threads on this forum about the Movietube. I consider it the superior product with a significantly better image. I've put it side by side with the P+S Mini35 both with the HVX200 and it was very apparent to me.

same reply from 'lighting' forum... sorry...

Any updated plan for the seminar to compare the Mini35 with Movietube?

I'm in NYC (right across the able cine, in fact... ) and would love to see them together...

I own mini35 (with DVX100 set-up)... I can bring mine for the test (or seminar)

...However... I'd like to see them used with HVX200...

I was going to use HVX200+mini35 for the next project, but might switch to Movietube St... if it really produces better image... especially it solves the 'softness' issue of Mini35...

and

I'd love to hear about the movietube (compare to mini35) from people who know/use movietube...

Thanks....

Try searching for Movietube. I know I've posted on this before.

The seminar will happen sometime in late September, after I come back from shooting a friend's feature. But anyone who want a personal demo of the Movietube can always contact me directly and come in to the shop. I've done a dozen or so in the last couple of months. For those not in NYC, we'll have a video of the Movietube and the seminar available on the Abel website for downloading or streaming soon. The short introduction to the Movietube that I did with the inventor might already be up on the site. www.abelcine.com