HELP!! URGENT NEED FOR ADVICE!!

Guest Ole Dost

Guest Ole Dost

Hi,

I´m a Kinor 16 sx-2m - User. Last night I´ve been loading a 400ft-Mag with 100ft Film on bobby (not on daylight spool). In total darkness. After I closed the Mag, I put it into the original KInor Mag-Bag (wich is not completely light-safe). In a room with some, but not a lot of light, I opened the Bag as I wanted to have a look to the Mag I´ve just been loading. I was really shocked when I realized, that the Mag was not properly closed! The Mag wasn´t completely open. But the two parts of the Mag didn´t stick to one another properely. I think there was a small gap between the two parts, but, as I closed the Bag very fastly, I don´t know how big the gap was... I imediately closed the bag, went to a completey dark room and closed the Mag again, this time completely.

What do you think? Is the film inside the Mag damaged now? Or can I still use it? AS I have to shoot on this film some important footage tomorrow, it´s very important for me to know wether the film can still be used or it is destroyed...

I need some quick advice!

Thanks a lot,

Ole

Hi,

I´m a Kinor 16 sx-2m - User. Last night I´ve been loading a 400ft-Mag with 100ft Film on bobby (not on daylight spool). In total darkness. After I closed the Mag, I put it into the original KInor Mag-Bag (wich is not completely light-safe). In a room with some, but not a lot of light, I opened the Bag as I wanted to have a look to the Mag I´ve just been loading. I was really shocked when I realized, that the Mag was not properly closed! The Mag wasn´t completely open. But the two parts of the Mag didn´t stick to one another properely. I think there was a small gap between the two parts, but, as I closed the Bag very fastly, I don´t know how big the gap was... I imediately closed the bag, went to a completey dark room and closed the Mag again, this time completely.

What do you think? Is the film inside the Mag damaged now? Or can I still use it? AS I have to shoot on this film some important footage tomorrow, it´s very important for me to know wether the film can still be used or it is destroyed...

I need some quick advice!

Thanks a lot,

Ole

It's funny cause i recently had this same problem. I have yet to here back if the film was flashed or not. If you have the ability to buy more film, I would do it especially if you are shooting something highly important like you said. Its not really worth the ridk to shoot everything and then find out its flashed afterwards.

Guest TJ Williams

Ah the joy of Russian technology....

Shoot a few feet, check with your lab for minimum. download that and send to lab to process as a test. split off the rest and store in a marked split can. If the film is flashed probably the outside of the reel is the worst. so the rest should be better or at least as good as this test. Go and buy new film for tomorrows shoot. You need to be a lot more paranoid as a loader. at the end of loading in the bag always run your hand around the juncture between the mag lids, and the body of the mag feeling for: bad seal, misplaced rubber grommet on some types of mags, film sticking out, counter arm not released, latch not closed etc. etc. then on taking the mag out tape with black paper tape over the latch and around the edges on mags such as russian and early arri that aren't always completely light tight.

Hope the shoot goes well

TJ