fractions of a stop

Don Bachmeier

But personally I don't like this; "five six eight" is way more of an 8 than a 5.6 ----

It's actually one reason I bought the Sekonic digital meters I have, I can look at the semi circle rather than read the tenths.

But now it seems Sekonic has abandoned that...

-Sam

corrected

ok now i get what you meant...sorry.

"But personally I don't like this; "five six eight" is way more of an 8 than a 5.6"

Yeah i think i see what you mean, but what I'm suggesting is that in my line of work if i'm off by a couple tenths (especially with polaroids or chrome) it's the difference between being good and terrible...hired or fired. the bottom line is that if i get a reading of f5.6 8/10ths and i set the camera for f8 it's going to be wrong. "five six eight" doesn't mean f5.6 or f8...it means 5.6 and 8/10ths.

then again, when I shoot documentary work on super-8 or 16 i'm just guessing exposure most of the time...often i'll show up to a location, walk around and take some readings, write them on my hand and work off those until the light has changed significantly enough for me to start reading again. so i guess in many cases you're right, i'm not distinguishing between readings of a couple tenths.

jk :ph34r:

• Premium Member
Hi,

Douglas Slocombe

http://imdb.com/name/nm0005878/

Stephen

Sorry to disagree but Dougie never lit to 1/10ths. I shot Temple of Doom and Never Say Never with him and its true he never used a meter. Exteriors are easy enough and he lit interiors to f4.5 I think. Working with the same stocks for years and the same 10ks and brutes its not the black magic it appears. The only time I saw him with a meter was when shooting in the airport in Nice under fluorescents. Robin Vidgeon (then 1st AC) handed him a Spectra and Dougy looked confused for a moment, handed it back and called f4.5. Nice moment.

Sorry to disagree but Dougie never lit to 1/10ths. I shot Temple of Doom and Never Say Never with him and its true he never used a meter. Exteriors are easy enough and he lit interiors to f4.5 I think. Working with the same stocks for years and the same 10ks and brutes its not the black magic it appears. The only time I saw him with a meter was when shooting in the airport in Nice under fluorescents. Robin Vidgeon (then 1st AC) handed him a Spectra and Dougy looked confused for a moment, handed it back and called f4.5. Nice moment.

Interesting. Now when you say 4.5 do you mean 4 1/2 or 4 1/3?

PS - You still keep in contact with Robin?

• Premium Member
Interesting. Now when you say 4.5 do you mean 4 1/2 or 4 1/3?

PS - You still keep in contact with Robin?

Sadly not seen Robin for years. Last bumped into him in some Spanish backwater about 8/9 years ago.....

and to me 4.5 will always be 4 1/3 :)