HVX-200 Music Video

Cole Webley

This was a great exercise to test the workflow and latitude of the HVX-200. This is a performance video that I shot on the band "Tilly and the Wall" in Salt Lake City -- I didn't have a lot of time to pre-rig any lights. I used four mini moles for some back light and a 2" kino flo kit and a 2k soft box. Still, the over cranked shots (at 60fps) are a bit underexposed. All in all, the shoot went pretty well and I was pleased with the work flow. The only problem we had was when I asked for another P2 card at my assistant ejected the one out of the camera that I was recording too -- my fault, it was loud and I didn't make myself clear...she felt horrible. I lost everything that I had recorded on that file up to that point...in other words, I lost all the footage I had captured since I pushed record...in the scene file that thumbnail had a big X on it...so I'll remember not to do that again. We had three cameras, each with 2 8G P2 cards. This band is really great, their manager is the same manager as Sigur Ros -- which means someone else is confident that they are going to do well.

Anyways, take a look and let me know what you think and if you have questions.

here is the url:

http://j-four.com/videos/Rainbows.mov

Well, 13 views here and 40 views under HVX and no response - so I'm responding.

I think it's really hard to comment on stuff like this because you don't really know the circumstances. That said I think you did a good job of selling the high chroma but not overproduced look without being annoying. I think I can tell where you might have added another light now and then if you'd had the time - so not worth mentioning really.

I think the video is effective on the level that it made me curious about the band and it seemed "fun." I even went to their website and looked at their other videos. Frankly, I think this one is the best sales piece for them. It makes them seem the most interesting (and really shows off the endless beauty of the dark eyed bleached hair girl very nicely).

Knowing the camera, I'd saw some surprisingly good focus work.

Gotta love the green BG which really helps sell it.

If I were to criticize I'd say that the video really comes alive when there is some interesting BG elements getting into the mix and the dead ceiling doesn't really do it for me (except in one shot which it is catching a little light); perhaps just comitting to it and trying to sell the lines in the ceiling if you had the lights. The tapping is so key that I would have probably wanted to see more light on that for sure and if possible the feet and body combined in a shot (I don't think one was there).

Thanks Mark -

Just yesterday as I was watching the video over again I said to the director - "I can't believe I didn't have another light on their feet!" Since I didn't have any other lights what I most likely should have done is gotten rid of one of their backlights and dropped it down on the ground for some kind of a kicker on thier feet.

Great comments about the BG - I think that is very true. I would agree that the few shots of the cieling are not as visually stimulating -- except (like you mentioned) when there was a light up there that occasionaly would give me bit of a flare and such.

Looking back at my student work this collaboration with the DP and the production designer and the director was something that was overlooked and underappreciated. I wish I could go back and have the production designer use colors/shapes/etc. in the background and foreground to help keep things interesting. I shot a short in a mobile home trailer and the walls were white and only part of them got covered with wall paper --- it looks so dull and flat w/ white walls!! Unless carefully thought through they can be your worst enemy.

Anyhow, I appreciate the dialogue.

It was a lot of fun -- and somewhat challenging to light it w/ so few lights in so little of time. The band played the song four times for us after their sound check.

I can't wait for the days when there will be a budget and something of a little more time.

Take care.