4ft setting when using only a 2ft kino

weiming

Hi all!

Have any of u guys used a 2ft 4 bank kino with a ballast set at the 4ft function? i read from the kino manual that it is not recommended as it will cause a green spike(does green spike just mean that the light will be greener?) and increase the heat generated.

In that case, do any of u still use it at the 4ft setting and are there any things to watch out for?

thanks!

weiming.

• Premium Member

Yes, 'green spike' means the light output will be much greener than normal. If you want to find out how green it is, get a color meter and take a reading. But I don't think there's any good reason to use this setting unless you want the green.

The 2ft and 4ft swith on the older ballasts have mostly been replaced with hi output and low output. The manual may caution you against it, but I have to say in my experience,I have never noticed more green in the light or the dailies. I was a gaffer for many years before I started shooting, and have always used the switch to get a little more light out of the unit.

The 2ft and 4ft swith on the older ballasts have mostly been replaced with hi output and low output. The manual may caution you against it, but I have to say in my experience,I have never noticed more green in the light or the dailies. I was a gaffer for many years before I started shooting, and have always used the switch to get a little more light out of the unit.

I haven't noticed green, but there is a definate shift towards blue.

Paul M. Sommers