Can someone, please, tell me how this very strange optical effect was achieved? I saw it at the video clip 'Air Rings' (at rent-a-cloud.com). It is a strange illuminated ring that changes shape as the sun moves downward. I emailed that site, but their cameraman is overseas. They tell me they don't use any software. I don't think it was done by filters either. But what lens could have produced such effect? Even my old know-all film teacher is puzzled.

Thanks for answers - xelob@fastmail.fm

I think it could have been shot through a mirror lens. So far as I know, a technology applied pretty much exclusivey to still photography, but it creates toroidal out of focus highlights that look kind of like that.These sort of lenses have no (adjustable) aperture and tend to be slow, and the video looked pretty dark, at least on my screen. Anyway, that's my theory

Looks like a strange lens flare to me. How was it achieved? I have no idea, but it doesn't seem too inconceivable that one could intentionally design a lens to flare like that.

To Group member Jon Kukla

Many thanks for your reply - Bodo Kripps

To Group members Jon Kukla and Thomas Fant

Many thanks for your replies - Bodo Kripps

I agree, pretty sure it is just lens flare. Each lens design exhibits different types of lens flares depending on how the optical elements are arranged. Adding some types of filters can also help increase lens flare. I have seen circular lens flares before.

Edited by David A Venhaus

I agree, pretty sure it is just lens flare. Each lens design exhibits different types of lens flares depending on how the optical elements are arranged. Adding some types of filters can also help increase lens flare. I have seen circular lens flares before.

Thanks - nice comment. But there's definitely no Braveheart in it.

It's me again. Sorry for my abrupt killing of Braveheart. It's just that the music reminded me so much of Debussy's 'Nocturnes' - probably somewhat mangled by software. But listening to it again I'm not so sure.