Green screen FX1

Jan Kielland

Hi

I'm doing a green screen heavy short on a Sony FX1. I've gathered that progressive is better for green screen than interlaced. The FX1 can't shoot progressive, but I've read that you can deinterlace before keying and get a better result.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

• Premium Member
Hi

I'm doing a green screen heavy short on a Sony FX1. I've gathered that progressive is better for green screen than interlaced. The FX1 can't shoot progressive, but I've read that you can deinterlace before keying and get a better result.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Whether the footage is interlaced or not doesn't make any difference to the quality of the keying, since that is based on the separation between foreground and green, not the number of samples per second (frames / fields) that are shot.

HDV is probably the worst possible choice for shooting green / blue screens. Its image compression reduces the resolution of the colour so much that good edges are all but impossible. I have seen the motion compression of HDV make a moving object completely disappear against a green screen. You would be much better off with at least a 4:2:2 solution if only for your green screen work.

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

Similar to what David said, what you're main enemy is going to be is the compression. Can you shoot straight to drive?

otherwise, maybe rent an HVX200 shoot at 1080 (therefor getting 4 times the data rate as the FX1).

You can key that.