Cartoni Lambda Head vs. others

Leon Sanginiti, Jr.

Hey,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cartoni Lambda head. I've used the head dozens of time, and think it's much better than the Weaver Steadman when it comes to ease of use and set up. I've been told by others that I should also consider, instead, to purchase the Ronford Baker Ronford 7 underslung fluid head because it's cheaper and much lighter. I've used that head several times, but not much in recent years. Anyone have an opinion when comparing the Ronford to the Lambda? I know the Lambda is much beefier, but is there a distinct advantage to the Lambda that anyone may know about? Can the Ronford handle larger cameras such as Panavision and Arricam? I remember that you have to change the plates in order to get a larger base for the camera. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Leon

• Premium Member

The Cartoni is a better all-round head. It'sa also quite heavy. The newest Ronford F7 is okay, but a bit more 'old school', if you know what I mean. On a Ronford, if you need to clear a big mag underslung, you have to screw a new section into the tilt arm, which takes some time. On the Cartoni you just turn the wheel and the tilt arm elongates - great design. Also, the Ronfords pan-bar never seems to be adjustaqble the way you want it.

hi Leon,

I used a socalled VarioHead a couple of times and it worked very nicely.

It looks kinda simple, but its very versatile.

I don't know whether its for sale,

but the guy who invented it has a website.

Check www.variohead.com

good luck

cheers

Anton

Hey,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cartoni Lambda head. I've used the head dozens of time, and think it's much better than the Weaver Steadman when it comes to ease of use and set up. I've been told by others that I should also consider, instead, to purchase the Ronford Baker Ronford 7 underslung fluid head because it's cheaper and much lighter. I've used that head several times, but not much in recent years. Anyone have an opinion when comparing the Ronford to the Lambda? I know the Lambda is much beefier, but is there a distinct advantage to the Lambda that anyone may know about? Can the Ronford handle larger cameras such as Panavision and Arricam? I remember that you have to change the plates in order to get a larger base for the camera. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Leon

First thought that came to mind: If you're going to buy one or the other definitely get the Cartoni Lambda Head. It will be easier for you to rent since it has fast become the industry standard. The Weaver Steadman is very rare these days. I'm still a fan of the Weaver Steadman but I am also a fan of the Lambda. I'll order a Weaver and Production or the Camera Department will opt for the Lambda and they'll get no argument from me. Both are great systems.

The Lambda is relatively new technology and it does what new technology should; it makes the job simpler. Ronford 7 is a fine head but it's not really standard and has fallen under the category of esoteric equipment. I have never used a Panaflex or Arricam on a Ronford head but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle those cameras.

As far as comparitive weight between the 2 heads I think it's a non-issue. The Lambda, as the heavier of the 2 heads, works well with jib arms, cranes and crab dollies. Oh yeah and Tripods too.

The Lambda is faster and easier to set up. It makes fine tuning a snap and it's popular. Not to mention Millenium Grey seems to be the new Black.

Besides when the new 2/3 Axis fluid head comes around it'll be easier for you to sell the Lambda and make the upgrade.

If you are you going to buy a Fluid head get the Lambda. In this case you get what you pay for. Otherwise continue to rent if you feel the greater cost is prohibitive. There's nothing wrong with renting equipment.

Tshaka

Grip