Chocolate

David Avila

Hi, I have a shoot coming up (early October), it is an advertisement about chocolate brand.

I would love to hear any trick or advice, I´ll try to shoot the delicious and tastiest I could.

Three things that worries me: texture, color and heat. :(

Heat, because my lighting will melt the chocolate.

Color and Texture, because I want a deep black chocolate with texture.

I still don´t know the lighting package, but the camera will be Betacam Digital (or at least DVcPro50) and the director wants all the backgrounds in white limbo like Vincenzo Natali´s "Nothing". I´ll probably rent a chroma silk to do it.

In summary I have a background white + black chocolate + caucasian actors eating the chocolate.

Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

P.D.: Is there an article in some magazine about the Lasse Hallström´s film "Chocolat"?... thanks :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Light the chocolate to a 2.8-1.7 depending on what your lens can handle and then back up a ways so that you can use a telephoto lens. This will ensure that the parts of the frame that you want in focus will be sharp but everything else will drop off. It can be nice to light it with a big source from behind and just off to the side. You'll get some texture this way and a nice big hilight on the chocolate.