Infrared Filming?

utibay

I was looking at some amazing photographs that someone did online, which used this method called infrared photography. Is it possible to do this for 16 or super 16mm motion picture? I hardly know anything about it, except that a how to site briefly mentioned Kodak HIE film. Is it possible to get this for shooting?

• Premium Member

Here are links to information about Kodak infrared films:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/business/aim/ae...s/ir-film.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...8.20.16.4&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...raredFilm.jhtml

Please note that although some of these specialized films are available in 35mm width, the normal perforations used are not BH-1866 motion-picture perfs, since these films are NOT motion-picture products.

All I would add is that these are sometimes very difficult to purchase in small quantities. As they are "still" films and not Motion Picture, they are carried by Professional Stockhouse Dealers. We do not sell them direct as we do our Motion Picture films. So you have to find a Dealer who may have some of this film. That can be particularly difficult if you are looking for 16mm.

Shooting the film requires some testing. There is no way to really "rate" the film as it is sensitive to IR light which light meters don't adequately measure. You will need to shoot some different exposure levels and determine the optimum setting for your particular purposes.

The next challenge is processing the film. Whether B&W or Color, the films must be processed in Complete DARKNESS. Normal Safelights will fog the film. If you shoot any of this film be sure to alert your Lab to the fact it is Infrared and needs special processing. Keep raw stock and exposed film refrigerated.

Obviously, IR Films provide a unique look. But as you can tell, there are a lot of difficulties in obtaining, shooting and processing the films. If you can achieve the "look" you are after by some other less difficult means, I would certainly encourage you to do so.

Stock of both B&W and color infrared film in lengths suitable for motion picture use is generally available from this dealer in Hollywood:

Calumet Photographic Supply

805 N Highland Ave (at Santa Monica Blvd)

Hollywood, CA 90036

Tel: (323) 466-1238

Calumet is located very close to the Kodak in Hollywood CA (6700 Santa Monica Blvd). Kodak's Alan Masson there (323-468-1517) has information about labs in the Los Angeles area who offer a processing service for these films. Feel free to call or drop by to discuss.

• 2 years later...
Calumet is located very close to the Kodak in Hollywood CA (6700 Santa Monica Blvd). Kodak's Alan Masson there (323-468-1517) has information about labs in the Los Angeles area who offer a processing service for these films. Feel free to call or drop by to discuss.

I'm looking for a color Infrared S16mm processing house other than Yale in LA. This thread is a bit old so I was wondering if there were any updates on the info regarding processing.

Alejandro

Or around the country, just looking for options. Found a thread with some Canadian houses by the way.

"Here in Canada there are Northwest in Vancouver (www.nwfx.com) for Super 8, 16mm and 35mm and Exclusive in Toronto (www.exclusivefilm.net)"