Question Regarding 'When the Levees Broke'

Nick Dillon

Hi,

I have a question that I hope you cinematographers could answer. In Spike Lee's new documentary, 'When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts', were the scenes where the colours appeared surreal (and the right-hand side of the screen was becoming overexposed with these red transparent 'things' appeared) cross processed?

(I saw the same effect in Peter Mettler's 'Gambling, Gods, and LSD' as well.)

Sorry if this is an absurd question, as I'm an extreme novice, and have never shot film.

Thanks in advance,

Nick Dillon

Were these "red things" some flashing on the edge of the frame? The documentary used a lot of super 16 film mixed in with digital footage from the SDX-900. It could have been a real effect from the 16mm film, or it could have been a post production effect. I don't think there was any cross processing.

From what I've been told, the red "effects" on the side of the screen are spots where there was light bleed on the film stock. I'm not 100% sure, but it could have been caused when they were loading or from the mag. Knowing that they shot on 16mm, I'm sure there were moments when they were in an extraordinary rush to load leaving more room for a small error that would cause the light bleed. But maybe there was one moment when the light bleed happened by accident, they saw it, liked it so they added it later digitally. Like the great Thelonious Monk...if you hit the wrong note, hit it again, and people will think it was intentional.