Selective focus

Joe Baron

Quick question:

I worked on a film a few years ago that a friend of mine (whom I can't get in touch with) DPed. There were a number of shots in the film where he played with the focus by holding a piece of glass (I suppose a lens of some sort) in front of the camera's lens. When he moved it around, it would alter the focal range in an unnatural way, often creating focal differences on the same focal plane.

Does anyone know the name/technique that he was using? Is there an actual lens that can achieve this effect (other than a split-field lens)?

Thanks!

You can try holding very simple glass lenses in front of the taking lens and move it in and out to create various effects. I have used a glass ruler before which creates a wonderful shimmering effect when passed across the lens. You can buy some basic lens packs for schools - sometimes they are plastic, and play around with them, problem is usually they are kind of small. Glass manufacturers such as Pilkington are a good place to look as they may have some simple glass lenses for sale. Also check out: http://www.ccjxoptic.com/index2.htm

Hi! You should rent a swing-shift system with lenses, you'd have exactly the effect you are after (in photography it's called anti-schempflug) without compromising quality. But I also have seen a video made on a small budget where the Dp used a device like the one your friend used, I just don't know what it is called though.

• Premium Member

Example- Everything in frame in focus except the actors's face. Example- Face in focus with medium

close-up,background out of focus. You may want to make the actor's face more prominent in the pic-

ture than anything else. Inversely you may want everything in frame more prominent than the actor's

face. Selective focus may be utilized with reflectors,diffusers to create desired effect.

"You know...that a blank wall is an appalling thing to look at. The wall of a museum-a canvas-a piece

of film-or a guy sitting in front of a typewriter. Then, you start out to do something-that vague thing

called creation. The beginning strikes awe within you."

_Edward Steichen

Greg Gross