Can I use Single Perf film in older Bolex made for double perf film ?

Matt Bartok

I am wondering if it is possible to use single perf film in an older bolex that is built for double perf film. I have a friend that has two older bolex cameras, older as in they have the rangefinders on the side. He has offered to let me borrow them but I only have single perf film right now and I don't want to buy more film because I definately can't afford to do so and I don't want to let the film that I already have go to waste. If I can't use the single perf in the camera is there any way that I can modify the cameras to accept the single perf without having to majorly change or alter the camera, as in after I have altered it is it possible to change it back to its original status ?

Matt-

The Bolex should have no problem using single-perf film. However, just to make sure I would look at the attached photo and match it to your Bolex.

bolex11.jpg

It will look somewhat different, however what you are looking for is if there is one or two sets of teeth. If both sides have teeth then you can use only double-perf. I've used Bolex's for 11 years and have never had an issue with perfs.

Thanks for the info, the cameras that I have access to do have two sets of teeth indicating that it was built to use double perf film, and as you have said it seems as though I will be unable to use single perf film in this camera. However, the second part of my question was is there a way to modify the camera, perhaps by taking one set of sprockets/teeth out making the camera useful for single perf film. I am mostly asking to see if anybody has ever successfully done a conversion or if it is simply hopeless.

Matt-

As for converting the camera. It seems to me to be more trouble than spending $300 for a later model Bolex body that includes a reflex viewfinder. I have a Rex-2 with a set of Schnieder primes that I paid $550 for. A great deal. It seems so much trouble to go through to be able to shoot single perf film on a camera that is far more cumbersome to operate. I've used non-reflex Bolex's in the past. Just my 2 cents.

Bryan