7217 200T

J Costantini

Hi.

I'm working on a project and will shoot regular 16mm using 7217 for night interior and 7246 (old 250D) for day exterior.

I'm planning to push the 17 1 stop (underexposing 1 stop during shoot and overdeveloping 1 stop).

What should I expect from doing this to this stock?

Despite the additional stop i'll gain I'd like to have it more contrasty with deep blacks and to saturate it a little more. Are these the effects I may expect when doing this to this film?

What about the grain? Will it increase a lot? This stock seems to have an excellent small grain. I've seen it bleach processed and looked great. But never pushed it.

How will the latitude be affected by the pushing? Should I take care with my highlights? Or work normally as if I was using a 400 stock?

Last thing is. I may shoot an interior scene (lit with tungsten) with late afternoon light (late magic our) coming in... I'd like it to be very blue. Will the push of this film increase the saturation of this blue light coming in? I will shoot uncorrected - straight tungsten and light tungsten inside. But the windows and open door will be uncorrected.

Now about the use of the 7246. What should I expect when exposing this stock normally? I have used the new 7205 but never shot with this stock. I've seen tests I know it looks more saturated and contrasty than the new version (vision2 line).

Any suggestions to get an unusual look with it? I'll be shooting in the woods a very dreamy and surrealistic story - natural light. The look could be warmer. What filters could I use shooting day/ext?

THANKS!

Edited by nillo

• Premium Member
Hi.

I'm working on a project and will shoot regular 16mm using 7217 for night interior and 7246 (old 250D) for day exterior.

I'm planning to push the 17 1 stop (underexposing 1 stop during shoot and overdeveloping 1 stop).

What should I expect from doing this to this stock?

Despite the additional stop i'll gain I'd like to have it more contrasty with deep blacks and to saturate it a little more. Are these the effects I may expect when doing this to this film?

What about the grain? Will it increase a lot? This stock seems to have an excellent small grain. I've seen it bleach processed and looked great. But never pushed it.

How will the latitude be affected by the pushing? Should I take care with my highlights? Or work normally as if I was using a 400 stock?

Last thing is. I may shoot an interior scene (lit with tungsten) with late afternoon light (late magic our) coming in... I'd like it to be very blue. Will the push of this film increase the saturation of this blue light coming in? I will shoot uncorrected - straight tungsten and light tungsten inside. But the windows and open door will be uncorrected.

Now about the use of the 7246. What should I expect when exposing this stock normally? I have used the new 7205 but never shot with this stock. I've seen tests I know it looks more saturated and contrasty than the new version (vision2 line).

Any suggestions to get an unusual look with it? I'll be shooting in the woods a very dreamy and surrealistic story - natural light. The look could be warmer. What filters could I use shooting day/ext?

THANKS!

Why don't you spend a few bucks and do some tests? :blink: :blink:

• Premium Member

I have not pushed '17, I have '18, and I would imagine the artifacts are about the same.

The films react like any other film when you push it. More contrast, more saturation, and more grain. The increase in grain (at least in 35) was not too substantial.

Because you gain more contrast, you by definition, loose some latitude.

Kevin Zanit

i have pushed 7217 on a couple occasions and actually really liked the results. the grain is still relatively fine, your contrast definitely increases but that can be a very good thing depending on the particular project and the look you're going for.

if you're trying to get some deeper blacks i'd say perhaps overexpose slightly and pull it down in post. when i pushed it i rated it at 320 asa as opposed to 400 and liked the results. you could even go further, but in the end it depends on how badly you need the stop.

the 05 is a huge improvement over the 46 in my opinion, probably the most improved of all the vision2 stocks (i'm looking at you 5218...), but the 46 was by no means a bad stock. have you considered using the 7217 for everything? it's finer grained normally rated than 46 or 05 and performs excellently in daylight situations. i've used it with an 85 filter and an LLD and was surprised at how well it performed, definitely better than 5274 85'd in my opinion.

best of luck though!