Varicam with HDV as 2nd camera?

Joe Cooper

I'm wondering if anyone has an experience using the Varicam as an A camera with an HDV camera as a B camera.

Say for example, the HVX200 or an Andromeda DVX100B?

How close would the images match, especially if the cameras were set up to be close?

Of course, neither of those cameras record in HDV. For best matching, the HVX200 would make sense.

I agree, the HVX is a great camera to use as B camera. The camera's that do record HDV is the sony Z-1, Canon XLH1, and the JVC GYHD110. The HVX is the closest " true HD " recording in the little three chipper family. It only records 720p/1080I, on the P2 cards. Best wishes! Tiffany

How close would the images match, especially if the cameras were set up to be close?

You might look at the History Channel's program "The Mexican American War."

Varicam A Camera, HVX200 B/C/D/E Cameras. They intercut very well.

Of course, neither of those cameras record in HDV. For best matching, the HVX200 would make sense.

All three mentioned record HDV or HD...

You might look at the History Channel's program "The Mexican American War."

Varicam A Camera, HVX200 B/C/D/E Cameras. They intercut very well.

Oooh. That helps. Thanks.

So whats wrong with a JVC JY-HD10 as a B camera? This HDV camera features full progressive high definition 720p video with better color reproduction than the Sony HDR-FX1. And this camera is a fraction of the price of a Panasonic HVX-200 yet both cameras are about the same resolution. The JVC uses a short 6 frame GOP compression so it mimmicks Panasonic's 1 frame GOP compression a lot better than Sony's long 15 frame GOP compression. This allows the JVC to handle motion a lot better than the Sony.

Being informed is a very good thing. Here's a link to tests using all the baby "HD" cameras. You'll need to register to access the site, but it's free.

http://dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml...cleId=192501232

I forgot about that article. I actually have that issue, and thanks. That really helps.

So whats wrong with a JVC JY-HD10 as a B camera? This HDV camera features full progressive high definition 720p video with better color reproduction than the Sony HDR-FX1. And this camera is a fraction of the price of a Panasonic HVX-200 yet both cameras are about the same resolution. The JVC uses a short 6 frame GOP compression so it mimmicks Panasonic's 1 frame GOP compression a lot better than Sony's long 15 frame GOP compression. This allows the JVC to handle motion a lot better than the Sony.

I'm concerned about the footage not matching, that's why I mention the Panasonic units in regard to the Varicam.

I expect they have similar signal processing, so then the thought is the footage would or could be made to match closely.

However, I'm leaning towards using 2 HD-10's with lens adapters. I just need to see some footage made with that camera.

• 1 month later...
The HVX is the closest " true HD " recording in the little three chipper family.

How can it be true HD when it doesn't have full HD resolution chips?

Also, I get a good laugh every time somebody says HDV is not true HD :D

Isn't HD a resolution standard? HDV cameras record HD standard, like the JVC HD110 with it's full 1280x720. The Canon XL-H1 HDV records 1440x1080, the same as the F900.

Yes, HDV can't be true HD :rolleyes:

Edited by Adam Paul