I need help with F-stops...

Guest Captain Keystone

Guest Captain Keystone

hi i have a regular 8mm keystone camera and it has an auto function for exposure but i don't think it works. The reason i need help is because i filmed my daughter at the bowling alley and all i can see when i watch the film is a slight glow of the pins. I had the camera on automatic but my f-stops go from 1.8-16. This is the first film i have shot so i haven't had much experience. I also shot some more footage on the same roll outside and it came out great. can someone please tell me how i can film in a bowling alley, or other low-lit places?

brandon

Hi Brandon and welcome.

I don't know how much experience you have with film, but there is a bit of a learning curve. If you have never used film before, don't worry. It really isn't that hard. There is just a lot to learn. But, as it is all interconnected, once you understand the basic concepts, the rest will come easy.

It sounds like you may be just starting out. Go to you local camera shop or bookstore and get a book on basic 35mm photography. All the concepts are basically the same. You need to learn about f-stops, film speeds, and shutter speeds (in cinema you work with frame rates, but its the same basic idea.) Also try 'googling' "basic photography" and find some websites. Still photography is the best place to start.

It all boils down to have sensitive to light you film is (called ASA or film speed) and how much light you expose the film to (controlled by your f-stop and the frame rate). Film that is used outdoors generally need less light (a lower ASA) than film that is used indoors (a higher ASA). So, even though your film was fine outside, there was not enough light inside the building to "activate" the film and capture a proper image. Even if your camera was wide open (largest f-stop), there still just wasn't enough light. You will need to add more light or get a faster film.

Joe