P + S vs redrock

Jan Kielland

Does anyone know if the redrock adapter works just as good as the p+s 35mm adapters?

http://www.redrockmicro.com/micro35.html

Well... you are trying to compare $10K+ worth of hardware with $1K worth of hardware?!!

I own an M2 and have used it A LOT. I'm well aware of it's technical shortcomings, one of which is an upside down image. Also, the M2 if not used right, can give very slight vignetting and soft edges.

I have not used a P+S, but I have to think that the optics are a LOT better than the M2.

It's just a hunch though...

What i make out of reading this article is that M2 is much better when it comes to quality and price. Does any one agree to it. I was considering buy M2 adapter and I think I inclining towards it more but need to see what you guys think.

That was a very interesting link. I was thinking of buying a M2 adapter, but I was wondering if it was just crap.

I've seen the P+S adapter in action and was amazed by the results.

One thing is for sure, the P+S is way better built and will last much longer than the M2. The P+S is built like a thank! A real piece of professional gear. I wouldn't say the same about the M2. The P+S has the image upright and also is much easier to adjust and get to work. The M2 needs to be opened and adjusted and there's a lot of messing around with screws, the ground glass etc. When you get the M2 and any time you change lens mounts with the M2 you need to go through the whole nightmare of adjusting FFD again, take screws off, open box, mess with ground glass, put screws back on, close box, test, if not sharp yet, take screws off, open box, mess with ground glass, you get the point. Even to change the battery you need to unscrew 2 screws to open the lid. Really counter productive. The P+S has interchangeable mount that are a snap in, no messing around like with the M2.

About the image quality is up for judgment and a matter of opinion really. In my opinion the M2 doesn't even beat some of the other lower priced adapters. I don't like it's bokeh also. Frankly, if you are considering the M2 I would take a look at the SGpro. The image is still upside down, but it makes great images, much sharper than the M2 and a very nice bokeh. Also you never have to open the unit to mess with adjusting the ground glass, not even when you change mounts. The mounts are truly interchangeable, much like the P+S. The M2 is no longer the only alternative to the P+S. Actually I think The M2 is starting to fall behind after other adapters hit the market. There are many options now. Check them and decide what best serves you.

If possible, try to go for a PL or OCT-19 mount instead of a still lens mount.

• Premium Member
No, it does not.

Second. It works roughly 9 thousand dollars worse than the P+S adapter :P

I'm shooting a short with the M2 right now and it was a huge pain in the ass to set up. We've got the PL mount version and the way you have to adjust flange focal depth is by moving the groundglass on the motor axle. Unfortunately, it's held by a set screw making minute adjustments difficult. Also, the motor's axle can move on its own, making me very wary of focus at all times. I don't like that. In the course of setting the camera and adapter up, I've compiled a list of about 20 design aspects that are poor and should be changed that I intend to send to Redrock.

Hard mounting the M2 helps in the area of soft corners or edges, but it's a stupid jury-rigged system that should have been planned into the design. Their rubber lenshood solution is retarded and chincy at best.

My other beef is that it's loud. The thing puts out a whirring that is loud enough to piss the sound guy off and I can't do anything about it.

Personally, I'd say do not buy an M2 and rent a P+S when you need it. Basically the M2 is the product of the P+S-as-inspiration and a few guys tinkering in their basement and it shows.

BTW, the bokeh is a product of the lenses, not the adapter.

Guest Dan Diaconu
BTW, the bokeh is a product of the lenses, not the adapter.

True (when lenses are measured to film). But when there are a few dozen optional diffusers (grond glasses) at the focal plane of thoses lenses each different from one adapter to another, they (gg) also play a major role.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the P+S on both the D700 and the 900 with superspeed primes. Not getting to work in the 35m Depth of Field range often is a real treat. I have never used the redrock before but the descriptions of the setup are not that encouraging.

I figure it like this. I am a geek at heart. The creative process is one that I have to work on. Now, if something is easy to setup and does not require me to go into "geek mode" to get the bugs worked out, then the creativity comes easier to me. So many times we are distracted from our craft by tweaking or fiddling with things. The P+S have given our clients exactly what they want, look great even in low light shallow focus situations and you don't have to turn the field monitor upside down for the client.

That all said, I agree with the rental option if you cannot afford to purchase one. I don't know why you would want to purchase one because the bigger issue is the cost of the lens(es) you are going to hang off of the thing. I guess if your budget is big enough to afford a complete set of primes, better go with the P+S and complete the package.

kw