Talking Heads: 2 Lowel DP's and a Tota

• Premium Member

Helping put together an interview kit for ongoing independent doc. Started with 2 Lowel DP's and 1 Tota and now accessorizing to put together a somewhat solid but road-ready package. Exclusively individual talking head interviews shot on BetaSP.

I'll admit to not being the biggest Tota fan though I have seen many posts here in its defense. My 1st purchasing stumble for these guys came just deciding on the speedring for the softbox (thus committing to the interview key light).

Not exactly a deal-breaking head-banger, right? DP for key.... end of discussion. Place the order.

Not necessarily. Maybe I've jst never had much luck with Tota's broad throw.

Though counter-intuitive, I'm leaning towards putting the Tota in the softbox as the key. Maybe I just don't know how to control that lamp. This needs to be a highly portable kit short on stands and flags (unfortunately).

Then, snoot and barndoor the 2 DP's as back / background lights. Lower wattage bulbs, scrims, dimmers, maybe (even with the color temp shift). Get some bounce from the Tota (in the Photoflex or Chimera) for fill.

Is that crazy? Or what? I'm just having a hard time committing to this approach - Tota as key and then 'toning down' 2 DP's (one of Lowel's workhorses) for other purposes.

Would you endorse this Tota-as-key plan?

If not, why would you argue for buying a speedring for one of the DP's instead?

Any and all input greatly appreciated. As some of you know, much of my time is spent sitting in the dark punching buttons (editing). That's not a bad thing. It's just that I don't get along with Totas and haven't since college. Many thanks in advance......

• Premium Member

I'm no photoillustrator (obviously) but this might help with the debate.

Just threw this together to give someone an idea of a possible set-up with the lighting situation I described above. Just try not to laugh too hard. Thanks again......

post-12809-1161427287.jpg