New Video

Hi everyone, I have a new video online, http://www.mandarine24.com/mandarine.html, click on Portfolio, the video is of Être by Brigitte Saint-Aubin, was shot on the HVX200. I had a hard time with the HVX200, It was my first time shooting anything but film and I was a bit disappointed by the in-camera coloring one can do. Maybe it works best indoor in an all lit environnement...

Thanks for your comments,

Christophe

Hi Eugene! Thanks for the comments, nothing was shot against blue screen althought I admit some of the masters quite look like they could be. It's fall here in Quebec, leaves are all red, the director wanted me to make sure we never see too much of the forest, he thinks red leaves are a bit cheesy... .... that's why the singer's background is sky most of the time.

dude, I luv your site and projects! especially the Montreal music video, its

very fun to watch. I take it that was super16?

regarding the HVX200 music video, I thought the imagery was very

beautiful; however, I thought the video concept and visuals were a

little stale, but I could be biased by the fact that I'm not a fan of music

videos that just show the artists sitting around from scene to scene to

scene. But at any rate, the HVX footage didn't look too bad, digital still

looks like digital, but the luster on this one is very pretty.

Hi! thanks everyone for the comments, for those who asked, here are the specs; the lighting is super simple in all this, I used a 2.5k HMI with a 1/2 diffusion 6X6 high on my left, the kicker you can see in the back is a hard/soft 4x4 mirror board pretty much 180 degrees to HMI. The scenes in the grass are lit from the back, 1/4 back, same light. Inside I used a small kino flo pretty much right above camera, fill is natural light coming through the windows. All day I was a bit overpowered by natural light, problem was we only had a 6500 honda genie, I thought I underlit the whole video but in the end it was not too bad. I did my white balance holding a slightly magenta gel combined with a slight yellow one (gel samples from lee.. forgot which ones...)... I also played a bit with the settings, brought everything on the cold side. I also had a 4x5.6 Mb18 with soft grad filters, ND 3 6 9 SG Hor. I added more vignetting with Mandarine's tech guy, also pushed a bit the green quality of the image. Lens was the one on the camera, zeiss zoom. I tried to get my hands on a mini35, could not find one for the HVX in Montreal.

Thanks again!

Chris

It looks very digital but I like it. The HVX doesn't tend to be that sharp. I was reading that with all the extra resolution the lens can only focus to about 500 lines anway. But I'm digressing here. I like the color pallete. I think that's what appeals the most to me.

I did my website myself but I am about to redo it, I am a bit tired of it actually! I had no clue how to do a website prior to doing mine, I still have no clue but somehow it worked! I got some help from my girlfriend along the way as well, she's got dreamweaver pretty much figured out. I wish I had enough money to hire someone to do it though, it is incredibly time consuming.