Yeah Yeah Yeahs video - camera moves

Nitay Artenstein

Hi,

I have just watched the (relatively) new Yeah Yeah Yeahs music video and really liked the camera movmements. In the best parts, they didn't have the shakiness of a hand-held camera, but seemed much more spontaneous than regular dolly moves. I'm talking mainly about the medium shots moving around the band members.

I'm relatively new to filmmaking and don't know much about camera movements. I would really appreciate it if someone here could watch the clip and give an idea about how these moves were made.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Turn Into

Thanks in advance,

Nitay

• Premium Member

I don't think there's anything particularly special about the moves. They are certainly done with purpose and resolve, and not slowly and invisibly like we generally do with narrative work.

It's also a possibility that they were done with someone handholding a camera while sitting on a dolly. that tends to preserve some of the sponteneity of handheld but also minimizing the annoying shakiness that often happens when one moves a lot or quickly while doing it.

• Premium Member
I have just watched the (relatively) new Yeah Yeah Yeahs music video and really liked the camera movmements. In the best parts, they didn't have the shakiness of a hand-held camera, but seemed much more spontaneous than regular dolly moves. I'm talking mainly about the medium shots moving around the band members.

Nitay

They used a Steadi-cam for those shots. Looks like they also they mixed in a few handheld shots toward the end as well.