strange optical effect when using kino flos

Alex Wuijts

I didn't notice this before, but i was looking into some kino flo light with tubes for greenscreen work, and i saw a strange starry effect taking place between my eyes and the source. Can anybody tell me what causes this, i have a fascination for the optical illusory. Oh yeah, i don't take drugs, even though i'm from a'dam. :)

I'm not sure what you're describing specifically, but here's a few that will satisfy your fascination for the optical illusory:

Shoot on a green screen set with green Kino tubes for 10 hours and walk into another room. It will look very purple as your brain "puts in some minus green gel" as it tries to compensate for all the extra green it was exposed to in excess for so long.

Recreate the famous experiment of the guy who wore the special glasses that made the world appear to him as upside-down. After a period of time, the brain internally corrected the image. He then took off the glasses and the world appeared inverted again for a while. The students I tell this story to always wonder "what does it look like during the transition?"