Depth Of Field

Ashim

Hello,

I know this is not exactly the forum for this query, but since I am not sure there is exactly a forum for such an ambiguous query I decided to post it in this forum since it receives the maximum hits.

Hope you dont mind.

I have a two shot where we show two obese talents relishing their burgers... The background is in focus...So a great DoF

I next want to pull back from the fast food chain to show a group of poor people staring at those guys... These impoverished people are standing with their backs to the camera...I again want a high DoF here coz I want both the impoverished grop as well as the obese guys to be in perfect focus.

Question 1:

Shld I set the lens to the hyperfocal distance?

Will pulling back affect the hyperfocal distance?

Or

Shld I just go with a normal lens(50mm) coz it have everything in apparent focus?

kindly help me figure the mechanics of this shot.

Thank you.

And yeah there is Glass in between the two groups...So how do I pullback, I'd want it to be one single shot with no cuts.

For a high Depth of Field, you'll probably want to use a shorter lens, and a tighter f-stop. It sounds like your main light source will be the sun, so if you're shooting it during the daytime, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it all in focus. You may need to play around with your staging regardless, and possibly move the two groups of characters closer together to make sure they're all in focus.

As for the glass, the easiest way to deal with it is to simply start on the outside looking in- that way you don't need to worry about transitioning. If you need to start inside, you should think of a creative camera move to bring you outside, such as a handheld or steadicam shot. If you absolutely must start inside and pass straight back through the glass, then you'll need to remove the window and then create a CG window in post- not the most difficult thing to do but probably more expensive than simply changing your camera move.

Thanks

Didnt figure out that!

Will the Hyperfocal distance be affected if I pull back my camera.

I think it shldnt for everything from half of that distance to infinity will be in focus. Am I right?