sugestions & opinions ?

Guest R.PRABHAKAR

Guest R.PRABHAKAR

HAI , i woud like to have some suggestions regarding the use of HD for theatre. As there are two camera

available in india sony cine alta 900 & panasonic varicam which would be the better? Any filters to be used like polrizer etc?

i am goning to use ultra prime with it?????????????

• Premium Member

Hello,

The CineAlta will give you a slightly higher picture resolution (1440 x 1080 luminance) compared to the Varicams 1280 x 720. This will give a slight edge for large picture projection. However, the Varicam can shoot any frame rate from 4FPS to 60FPS and this might be useful to you.

If you are needing blue / green screen work, the Varicam is likely to give a more pleasing result because it has a closer colour resolution to the luminance resolution being a 4:2:2 camera. The CineAlta - assuming you will record to HDCam will have 1/3rd resolution colour to luminance.

Hope that helps a little.

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk

Hello,

The CineAlta will give you a slightly higher picture resolution (1440 x 1080 luminance) compared to the Varicams 1280 x 720. This will give a slight edge for large picture projection. However, the Varicam can shoot any frame rate from 4FPS to 60FPS and this might be useful to you.

If you are needing blue / green screen work, the Varicam is likely to give a more pleasing result because it has a closer colour resolution to the luminance resolution being a 4:2:2 camera. The CineAlta - assuming you will record to HDCam will have 1/3rd resolution colour to luminance.

Hope that helps a little.

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk

Hello David,

Sony HDCAM Cameras are 1920x1080, if you use HD-SDI out it is 4:2:2 1920x1080 on the 900 to be precise.

The 1440 are on tape as Y is at 3, not at 4.

for chromakeying HD-SDI out will give you better results then using tape.

for cinematic release, if feasible, i would recommend 900 + hd-sdi out. as then it is 1920x1080 (2 Million Pixels) for the Sony vs 1280x720 (1 Million Pixels) on the Varicam.

• Premium Member
Hello David,

Sony HDCAM Cameras are 1920x1080, if you use HD-SDI out it is 4:2:2 1920x1080 on the 900 to be precise.

The 1440 are on tape as Y is at 3, not at 4.

for chromakeying HD-SDI out will give you better results then using tape.

for cinematic release, if feasible, i would recommend 900 + hd-sdi out. as then it is 1920x1080 (2 Million Pixels) for the Sony vs 1280x720 (1 Million Pixels) on the Varicam.

...yes - thats why I said in my original post "assuming you will record to HDCam". If you take the HD-SDI out from the camera, you still need to record to something that doesn't downsample in order to retain the 1920 x 1080. I would imagine that most people who hire a camcorder do so to use the inbuilt recorder, which in this particular case will be HDCam. The user would need to ignore that and teather up to an HDCam SR,HD D5 or disk system to retain full luminance.

DC

...yes - thats why I said in my original post "assuming you will record to HDCam". If you take the HD-SDI out from the camera, you still need to record to something that doesn't downsample in order to retain the 1920 x 1080. I would imagine that most people who hire a camcorder do so to use the inbuilt recorder, which in this particular case will be HDCam. The user would need to ignore that and teather up to an HDCam SR,HD D5 or disk system to retain full luminance.

DC

Hello David, yes i also thought that this was what you wanted to say. Just wanted to underline that (important) point.

However, i met people who had the false impression that HDCAM cameras would be 1440, not 1920 -i think they were confused by HDV- and then after 1440 would have another 75% reduction in luma bandwidth.

If we are speaking of internal VTRs, HD Cameras and subsampling - i have heard from customers that DVCPRO when it gets 1920 reduces to 1280 and then applies 4:2:2. I doubted that, but didn´t reach my panasonic contact yet to confirm - do you know something about this? Its of no relevance for the 27 Varicam, but for the 900´and 400´ it would be important to know.

• Premium Member

Jan,

You were quite right to clarify that important point.

My understanding of DVCPro HD is that it is a native 720 format - i.e. 1280 x 720 @ 4:2:2. I don't think it ever has 1920 x 1080, except for the ins and outs to the VTRs that are purely for convenience (up and down scalers)

So in the case of a 1080 picture being presented to a DVCProHD VTR, I believe that the incoming 1080 @ 4:2:2 is downscaled to 720 @ 4:2:2, meaning that the recorded resolution is 1280 x 720 for Y and 640 x 720 for U and V.

Likewise the 1080 outputs are just the result of a real-time up-scale from 720.

Regards

David Cox

Baraka Post Production Ltd

www.baraka.co.uk