removing auto-levels

Michael Collier

I have some audio that was accidently recorded with auto levels. I can cut it together alright with the auto on, but I was wondering if its possible to remove auto levels. Heres my lame attempt to plan it out:

Take the audio, filter with EQ so all that is left is ambient (consistent) level, except for the auto levels bringing it up and down. Then render out a video track that has a VU with markings of the level. The idea is that the only time the VU would change would corrilate to how the auto level changed the audio.

Then I should be able to come close to smoothing out the audio level changes. I know it won't be perfect, but it may make the ambient noise a bit more consistent. The other option is to find some kind of audio filter that automatically does this function on a sample by sample basis. Does anyone know of a program or plug-in or technique that would get me where I am trying to get (and yes, I know the obvious: check levels before recording...to late now)

• Premium Member
I have some audio that was accidently recorded with auto levels. I can cut it together alright with the auto on, but I was wondering if its possible to remove auto levels. Heres my lame attempt to plan it out:

Take the audio, filter with EQ so all that is left is ambient (consistent) level, except for the auto levels bringing it up and down. Then render out a video track that has a VU with markings of the level. The idea is that the only time the VU would change would corrilate to how the auto level changed the audio.

Then I should be able to come close to smoothing out the audio level changes. I know it won't be perfect, but it may make the ambient noise a bit more consistent. The other option is to find some kind of audio filter that automatically does this function on a sample by sample basis. Does anyone know of a program or plug-in or technique that would get me where I am trying to get (and yes, I know the obvious: check levels before recording...to late now)

Soundtrack Pro has the ability to make an ambient noise print which you can then selectively reduce. Obviously it also affects the audio you want to keep but it does a surprisingly good job once you tweak it a little.