CP-16R Sound Synching

Aaron Tan

Hello Everyone,

I've searched in the archives for information regarding the CP-16R and sound synching and didn't find much so here's my question.

What are your general opinions on the CP-16R and sound synch shooting using DAT or MiniDisc recorders? How were the results?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

• Premium Member

Yes, its a Crystal Sync 16mm camera.

I know some professionals who use their video cameras (PD150 I think) to record the audio, and then they just sync all the material on their computer when they edit. Handy if you're outputting to video, I don't know how that would work if you want a film print though.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Okay. So are you guys saying that the CP-16R is a very good sound/sync camera? Is the camera a low noise camera? Is it better/as good/comparable to the Eclair ACL 2 in terms of sound/sync/noise output?

Thank you

It's certainly not the quietest sync camera one can find, but it's very useable for that. I'm pretty sure it's noisier than an ACL, but I don't have the proper reference handy right now.

I've shot with a CP16 a bit and in situations where the camera and mic are in close (less than 6 feet or so) proximity, the mic picks up the camera quite a bit. I also remember, though, that a leather jacket around the camera with the lens out the neck and the eyepiece out a sleeve made a great barney that made it an extremely quiet camera.

Edit: I also know that the camera I used wasn't the quietest CP16s can be. It needed a tune up.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth

• Premium Member

It really depends on how well maintained the camera is. My CP16R, used only after an overhaul from WhiteHouse isn't entirely silent, but the only time the camera ever showed up on audio was when I was standing directly in front of the mic (friends and I were screwing around so we just had to set the mic up and let it run) and we upped the mic gain in post (because we needed to hear some dialogue, but of course I was standing in front with the camera). Even then you could barely hear the camera, and it wasn't actually the camera but the mag.

If you have a well maintained camera, then you shouldn't have a problem with ever getting it on your audio. If the camera is, however, in shoddy shape...well, that can't really be used to defame the effectiveness of the equipment. Overall, my camera is extremely quiet (and I've been told that it's quieter than an Arri SR1 and some SR2s).

But cameras are like cars, you give them a tune up and you keep them running right. But people rarely treat anything like they treat their cars.