ebm on tripod? with power?

adam berk

So I'd like to know how everyone is putting an EBM on a more-than-BestBuy-consumer tripod head. With the powergrip attached, it wont even go onto a 501- it gets in the way.

I used to use a custom-made extension cord between the grip and body and hang the grip from the tripod but it was really counter-intuitive and it got to be a super hassle if you wanted to switch from tripod to hand-held. Anyway, what I ended up doing was bolting two 4", heavy duty L-shaped brackets from the Hardware store into a rectangle, and putting a 3/8" hole at the top and a 1/4" in the bottom w/ some 1mm thick/1" long fun foam strips as shims on the top part of the bracket and on the bottom. Next, I permanently fixed a 1/4" nut around the 1/4" hole with some fibreglass. So with all that in place, I used a 3/8" wingnut and screw to attach the powegrip at the top and attached my tripod head's quick release plate on to the bottom. So basically you end up w/ metal rectangle that permits enough clearance between the grip and tripod. This probably doesn't make a lot of sense but I'll post some pictures tomorrow to clarify.

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

• Premium Member

some pictures sure would be awesome.. I was thinking along these same lines, but with a bit more simplicity- Just have an aluminum riser manufactured that has a hole through it to allow for a tripod plate sized screw...then just find a screw @ the right length to make it all the way through tripod plate + riser, then into the grip.

The EBM powerbase seems to be pretty tough to find...

I used to use a custom-made extension cord between the grip and body and hang the grip from the tripod but it was really counter-intuitive and it got to be a super hassle if you wanted to switch from tripod to hand-held. Anyway, what I ended up doing was bolting two 4", heavy duty L-shaped brackets from the Hardware store into a rectangle, and putting a 3/8" hole at the top and a 1/4" in the bottom w/ some 1mm thick/1" long fun foam strips as shims on the top part of the bracket and on the bottom. Next, I permanently fixed a 1/4" nut around the 1/4" hole with some fibreglass. So with all that in place, I used a 3/8" wingnut and screw to attach the powegrip at the top and attached my tripod head's quick release plate on to the bottom. So basically you end up w/ metal rectangle that permits enough clearance between the grip and tripod. This probably doesn't make a lot of sense but I'll post some pictures tomorrow to clarify.

Guest Ian Marks

There is a Bolex-made flat base for the EBM - it fits in place of the grip and routes power from an external battery. That's your best bet.

There is a Bolex-made flat base for the EBM - it fits in place of the grip and routes power from an external battery. That's your best bet.

If you can find it and it's never cheap-- it's usually around $200 or something insane and considering you could just as easily attach the base of the bolex to any tripod and run it off a generic 12v lead acid battery w/ an XLR cable for that much or less, not cost-effective . I made my bracket dealie for something on the order of $10-15. Anyway, pictures later this afternoon....

Guest Ian Marks

Sir Alvin's arrangement seems like it would be okay for occasional use, but it exacerbates an existing problem with the EBM/battery grip combo - it's very tall and has a high center of gravity. It's even worse with a 400' magazine attached. When I had one years ago I was able to rotate the Linhof grip enough to get the set-up onto a tripod with a small head, but I had to be very careful to lock off the head between shots so that the whole thing didn't tip over.

On the other hand, kudos to Sir Alvin for his homemade video tap!

Sir Alvin's arrangement seems like it would be okay for occasional use, but it exacerbates an existing problem with the EBM/battery grip combo - it's very tall and has a high center of gravity. It's even worse with a 400' magazine attached.

Yeah, you're going to need some sand bags to make sure it doesn't tip over but that's no biggie. And let's not forgot a (very) sturdy tripod. Anyway, it's either this or just ditching the grip altogether and running it from a power pack.

On the other hand, kudos to Sir Alvin for his homemade video tap!

And we pass the savings onto you!

Edited by Sir Alvin Ecarma

• Premium Member

So, wouldn't it be just as easy to do something like this:

1. Build a cable to extend the grip connection to camera

2. Create a mount with l-brackets (or whatever works) that would mount the grip to the rod mount on the

front of the camera - and hold the grip out to the right of the camera -- allowing a tripod plate to be

attached directly to the camera base

So, wouldn't it be just as easy to do something like this:

1. Build a cable to extend the grip connection to camera

2. Create a mount with l-brackets (or whatever works) that would mount the grip to the rod mount on the

front of the camera - and hold the grip out to the right of the camera -- allowing a tripod plate to be

attached directly to the camera base

If you're dead set w/ using the power grip, the absolute easiest thing to do is to have somebody like Dieter at Procam make a two-foot cable to attach between the power grip and body and then just rig up a bag and strap to hold the power grip and hang the whole thing from the tripod. As I mentioned earlier, this is what I used to do and it works; the only expense is having the cable custom-made but that's going to be way cheaper and less time-consuming than buying that rare EMB tripod attachment, getting an XLR power cord and 12V battery or building what you have in mind. That's my 2 cents anyhoo.

do you have a link to procam?

his site is www.bolex-usa.com but it's down. You can try his email at bolexusa@yahoo.com . He's one-man operation so something may have happened or may not; I can probably dig up his business number as well if that doesn't work. If it turns out he's out of circulation, Du-all www.duallcamera.com could do it but the price is will be a bit higher.