Wet streets and sidewalks?

Hey guys i`m trying to learn some cinematography on my own from books and movies... and i`ve been paying attention to details in movies... on why specific framing, position of angle movements and stuff like that, i`m watching all my dvd's it's funny how i never saw all those details before. So one thing i`m interested in are WET streets and sidewalks (and that happens in A LOT OF MOVIES...) why? I was thinking maybe it reflects more light ? or is it some other reason? Anybody?

Nothing can capture such low light and wide contrast like our eyes. Next to that is film and after that hd and video. Dry Asphalt wouldn't register enough on film so they wet it down just a bit to make it shine and reflect more light so it won't look like cars and people are traveling in mid air. They might do the opposite to a shiny metal object(spray dulling spray to tone down too bright of a shine). These tricks are all about making it close to what our eye sees, tweaking it a bit to make a little more attractive, and sometimes to motivate a certain feeling. I love the real wet and dreary look of Glengarry Glen Ross.