Electrician's tools

Brian Baker

Hey everyone.

One of my teacher's once told me about this electrician's tool that will allow you to detrimne the circuit destination of household outlets. Two people, one at the circuit breaker / fuse box and another at the indivdual outlets... and the tool tells you what outlets are normalled to what circuits.

Does anyone know the name of this tool, where to find it, have used it and can talk about it, etc? My teacher said he thinks it's called a Line tester, but when I went on Grainger and Ideal's websites, I got too broad an ammount of results.

Also, what are some of the personal tools that electricians should have? I think I have a pretty good idea, but am curious to see what other people say.

Any help, especially regarding the circuit tool described above, would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone.

One of my teacher's once told me about this electrician's tool that will allow you to detrimne the circuit destination of household outlets. Two people, one at the circuit breaker / fuse box and another at the indivdual outlets... and the tool tells you what outlets are normalled to what circuits.

Does anyone know the name of this tool, where to find it, have used it and can talk about it, etc? My teacher said he thinks it's called a Line tester, but when I went on Grainger and Ideal's websites, I got too broad an ammount of results.

Also, what are some of the personal tools that electricians should have? I think I have a pretty good idea, but am curious to see what other people say.

Any help, especially regarding the circuit tool described above, would be greatly appreciated.

You don't need two people. The device is called a Fox and Hound. The Fox sends a signal down the line and the Hound sniffs it out.

Hey everyone.

Brian here's a site that might help.

http://www.contractor-books.com/Circuit_Tracers.htm

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I guess you wouldn't need two people... but how wouldn't it be a pain going back and forth from the breaker to the outlet? Or am I missing something with the concept?

Hello Brian,

No your not missing anything, it's just a way to do it by yourself. Besides if you got two people one can just throw the breaker and the other can see when the circut goes dead and yell or communicate with a walkie talkie that "Thats the one". But if your working with an unpowerd circut you need something to feed a signal down the line one way or the other. And then there is the, one licensed electrican $75.00 per hour two electrians.....

Anyhow have a very merry Xmas and remeber, no kissing the black wire under the misoltoe.

Chuck