Good books on sound aquisition techniques

James Steven Beverly

Does anyone know of any books or DVDs out there on techiques for motion picture sound aquisition that cover techiques used by both the boom operator and the soundman also various mics and techiques for their use? I quess what I'm asking for is a type of soundman's bible, similar to the Cameraman's Handbook or the Five Cs of Cinematography but for sound. B)

Does anyone know of any books or DVDs out there on techiques for motion picture sound aquisition that cover techiques used by both the boom operator and the soundman also various mics and techiques for their use? I quess what I'm asking for is a type of soundman's bible, similar to the Cameraman's Handbook or the Five Cs of Cinematography but for sound. B)

I have "Sound for Digital Video" by Tomlinson Holman and found it remarkable in its depth and breath of information on the topic -- technical specs on various microphone elements, issues of capturing clean production sound, sound "perspective" etc. It may not be as cook-book as you are looking for and is written assuming the audio will be single system recorded.

He also has a book called "Sound for Film and Television" which might be better for your needs but I haven't personally seen it and it is a little older. Tomlinson is an impressive guy (the inventor of Lucasfilm's THX).

---george

I have "Sound for Digital Video" by Tomlinson Holman and found it remarkable in its depth and breath of information on the topic -- technical specs on various microphone elements, issues of capturing clean production sound, sound "perspective" etc. It may not be as cook-book as you are looking for and is written assuming the audio will be single system recorded.

He also has a book called "Sound for Film and Television" which might be better for your needs but I haven't personally seen it and it is a little older. Tomlinson is an impressive guy (the inventor of Lucasfilm's THX).

---george