Microphone decisions...

Hi-

I've been shooting with my Sony HVR-Z1 since December of 2005 and didn't really have any film jobs coming in. So for a little while I decided I wouldn't need a microphone if I was just doing stock filming. Now I'm becoming more "noticed" and am starting to build up a network of possible clients. I was asked to shoot a wedding for my Spanish teacher, with me and the camera on the tripod on a balcony about 40 feet from the bride and groom. Luckily, the on-camera microphone picked up everything fine, but if I'm going to start doing this professionally, I need a microphone.

So, here's what I need help with. I've studied up on mics and their pickup types (cardoid, bi-directional, hyper cardiod, etc.), each with its own advantage. I need a mic with the most flexibility in a given situation, whether the intended subject is speaking to the camera only six feet away or is about to kiss the bride forty feet away. I also have a self-set budget of $500. Any suggestions as far as type or even model?

Thanks!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...