How do I sync sound with a Filmo?

hey there

the filmo isn't designed for sync sound -- there is a sync motor by tobin that might work but I don't think it was designed for this camera and they don't make them any more -- I'd check for certain about compatibility before buying on ebay.

Your best bet for sound with filmo is to limit your dialogue as much as possible, use a digital sound recorder (like a DAT) to record foley sound (like footsteps, ambient traffic noise, roomtone, etc), and then dub your actors later after dumping your footage onto a good digital editing system. When shooting, let your actors do their lines, and record it on video as you shoot on film for reference. It will take quite a bit of work and may not look like it was shot in the US, but the rest of the world has been dubbing since sound was introduced.

And remember, your ultra-durable filmo can do things other cameras can't. Work its strenghts into your film, and make the weaknesses work for you, instead of against you, and you'll be fine.

good luck

EH

The filmo is extremely durable - it used to be used as a newsreel camera, a military camera, and is the B-camera in all sorts of films. Its 35mm brother, the Eyemo, was Michael Powell's personal camera that he'd use to get location shots, water shots, and other cool stuff as he saw it, rather than trying to recreate it later or in the studio.

You can strap it to your car and it can take the bumps and jolts... the list goes on and on.

The way I look at it, is its a pro quality but very simple-use 16mm camera. You'll get steady images and you can take it anywhere.

I think that what you can do with it beyond that is up to you: ie: do you own syncing.

You can't look through the lens, but the parralax viewfinders are pretty good, and it was many years before through-the-lens cameras were invented.

Go rent "lumiere and co." for a very interesting take on what contemporary directors can do with a replica of the first ever movie camera, which was crank powered, single lens, no sync, parralax viewfinder, and only 55 seconds of film per shot before reload.

EH