External hard drive recommendations

Liz Acosta

Hey there

I'm just trying to pick out a reliable external hard drive to edit on & was wondering what brands/sizes you would recommend? For now I'll be editing mostly DV, nothing longer than 30mins. I'm using Avid Express Pro on my 12" PowerBook with 2 2.0 USBs & 1 FireWire 400 ports. I've been reading that the main problem with external hard drives is the power supply shorting it out & that the best way to deal with that is to plug into a UPS

I did a search to see if the topic has been mentioned before & could not find any such threads

Thanks a bunch ; )

Hey there

I'm just trying to pick out a reliable external hard drive to edit on & was wondering what brands/sizes you would recommend? For now I'll be editing mostly DV, nothing longer than 30mins. I'm using Avid Express Pro on my 12" PowerBook with 2 2.0 USBs & 1 FireWire 400 ports. I've been reading that the main problem with external hard drives is the power supply shorting it out & that the best way to deal with that is to plug into a UPS

I did a search to see if the topic has been mentioned before & could not find any such threads

Thanks a bunch ; )

One thing I have noticed many people do (not just here but in everything electronic) is "Buy for what I need". I always tell folks, "Buy for what you WILL need".

When it comes to storage, look at your buget and then the difference in costs. For external HD's, the difference in cost from 250gb to 320gb, and 500gb is really in the long run, neglibile $50 or so.

GO BIG. Always get the biggest storage solution available. You may not need it now, but if you keep at it, you will.

I personally own 2 Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 500gb externals. They are 7200rpm, 16mb cache, and usb 2.0. I havent put "film" to them yet but I have used them for some CG work and I store all my "mobile" CAD, Database, and work items. They are not overweight and don't take up too much space. Occasionally I drop one in my laptop bag to take it with. At less than $400 for both (I paid $190 each at Newegg.com), a Terabyte is a deal.

Just my $.02

BTW, I try to run ALL my PC/editing equipment through a UPS. Hard to do on the road, but in my office and at home, it's worth it.

Edited by Rodney Dotson