New to HD have a few questions!

grahamstanly

Ok I am going to start shooting a new short using an HVX200 and I am really confused because I have never shot HD at all. I have heard this is one of the best cameras to use for HD footage. but whats the deal with the no tape system I sort of understand the p cards, but can i still use a tape with this camera? or do I have to use these cards?

also to edit in HD what tools will I need, I am a finalcut pro user so I would assume I need finalcut hd, but If I was using cards then obviously that rules out a tape deck so to transfer onto a macbook pro, will I just use the camera?

Also If This camera can also use tapes do I need to pay for an HD tape to film in HD?

Please forgive my ignorance on this matter.

and thank you in advanced for the help.

Start here:

http://www.apple.com/pro/pdf/L317074A_FCP_Wkflw.pdf

P2 cards are needed to shoot HD. The HVX200 does have

a DV tape drive for recording DV only.

Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 is preferred to edit P2 footage.

Then go to Dvxuser.com and their HVX forum. Anyting you need to know re the HVX you can find it there.

Shane.

ok thanks a ton the apple site really helped but I still have one more question can I edit and upload my footage from the p2 card using finalcut pro express hd 3.5?

You need the Final Cut Pro 5.1 and by the way, it doesn´t worth it to shoot on tape with this camera because you will be shooting in standard def.

if you have a 32 bit PCMIA card in your laptop you should be fine. If not you can buy either a one card reader that is availible, though not connected to P2 or panny in anyway for about 150, or buy pannys 5 card bay for 2500. personally, I would recomend either the single card reader or the camera. Its all solid state, so using the camera its not like your adding hours to the tape drum.