35mm Film costs

Matt Bizer

Ok, This may be a dim question but I need a little help.

I have been shooting for others most of my short life, but I know very little of resources for independent producing. I am looking to fund my own 5min short film this summer shot on 35 and I cannot find any good idea of stock costs.

I am looking for a general price estimate for 35mm color negative stocks. I havent decided on a specific stock, but I most likely will be leaning to a 500T. I heard of a price calculator somewhere but I havent found the link yet. I have been breaking down my budget and this is holding me back.

Thanks to anything you can offer.

Well first off don't pay retail, especially for a short film.

You can get great deals on re-cans right here:

http://www.thedrgroup.com/Film.htm

In most cases it will be 50% below retail, it will be the exact same stock. Also shoot Fuji and save even more money, want 500T? Fuji's Eterna 8573 is equally as good as Kodak's 5218, and much cheaper. Don't let the Kodak and Fuji reps give you the horror story BS sales spiel against using re-cans.

I've shot well over 200K feet of re-cannned 35mm stock and had zero issues thus far.

R,

If you want to shoot factory Vision2 Kodak stock it will cost around .52 cents per foot. Sometimes Kodak will help a low budget shoot with charging less if the production is willing to shoot with the Vision 1 series. However, like Richard said, shooting recans definetely will help you save more money. Like him, I have shot tons of recan 35mm and never run into a problem with it. The DR Group is great to get recans from but their website doesn't list prices on it. I would also recomend the Film Emporium. They do list prices. I think it is .32 cents/ft for long ends and then its gets cheaper the shorter the recan lengths become. Both recan company's prices are about the same. They come in short, medium and long ends. The longer the higher the price. The other consideration when shooting recans is how much time you have on set reloading the mags. Obviously the cheapest way to go is shoot with short ends but that will mean the AC will constantly be reloading and production will lose a lot of time and momentum, hence why I would never recommend anyone purchase anything but medium and long ends. Just something to consider.

Edited by Austin Schmidt

Thanks for the input. I am for sure considering ends. I had not even thought about that up to now and I think it will be the best route for me. I am hoping to get through production under $5000 and any corners I can cut would be amazing. I have free equipment, but I am going to be a little over budget after crew and cast. even 5 min costs a lot more then I had ever expected. It looks now like I will be doing the initial edit then shopping it around for post money to do the final color correction and sound engineering. Anyone know of any good leads as to cheap yet talented post facilities in Texas/ southern states let me know.

Once again this forum is a great resource. I hope I have been able to help anyone as much as I have been helped.

I've shot three 35mm shorts as a student at UT. I'm doing pickups for my last one in a couple weeks.

Send me an e-mail. I know of a guy who is looking to sell some film here in Austin and we might have some leftover film in a couple weeks.

I might also know of some post-folks who could help you here in town.

Good luck,

Jason

"jephotographs ----at----- g mail ----dot ---- com"