FCP 5 on iMac

Ilmari Reitmaa

Things happen, and I find myself in need of a quick fix for a music video edit... Would an average Intel iMac running FCP 5 be enough for doing PAL SD 4:2:2 10-bit online editing? I'm mostly worried about the single SATA-drive that would be hosting both the video material plus FCP and OS; would it be a bottleneck, transfer rate -wise?

• Premium Member
Things happen, and I find myself in need of a quick fix for a music video edit... Would an average Intel iMac running FCP 5 be enough for doing PAL SD 4:2:2 10-bit online editing? I'm mostly worried about the single SATA-drive that would be hosting both the video material plus FCP and OS; would it be a bottleneck, transfer rate -wise?

single stream possibly, but am confused as to how your going to connect a sata drive and you cannot connect a fw800 either. so your best bet would probably be running the footage from internal ide, which would mean a higher chance of crashing assuming you dont run your startup off an external drive. i would go for an old workhorse with decent drives personally.

keith

single stream possibly, but am confused as to how your going to connect a sata drive and you cannot connect a fw800 either. so your best bet would probably be running the footage from internal ide, which would mean a higher chance of crashing assuming you dont run your startup off an external drive.

iMac specs say the internal drive is SATA, at least the newest models, and I'd assume all the Intel models are SATA.

i would go for an old workhorse with decent drives personally.

So would I, but the situation is such that I have to look for ad hoc -alternatives. Anyway, thanks for the input.

iMac specs say the internal drive is SATA, at least the newest models, and I'd assume all the Intel models are SATA.

So would I, but the situation is such that I have to look for ad hoc -alternatives. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Hi!!

i make SD NTSC online uncompressed 10bit 4.2.2 in a emac g4 1.25ghz 1G ram with a 400Gb DvBox 400 firewire disk.

of course i digitize the footage in another mac, a G5 with targa cine wave.

bye!

Treegan

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, I did the edit on a G5 2.1GHz iMac with 1.5GB RAM running OS 10.4 and FCP 5.0.4. I transferred the footage (some 80GB of PAL 4:2:2 8-bit uncompressed) onto the internal hard drive (SATA) and streamed it from there, ending up with a 5GB final version. Everything went just fine, no glitches whatsoever.

Edited by Ilmari Reitmaa