Opinions on this short

Andrew Wheeler

Hey hows it going! I just recently finished shooting a short and here are the first few minutes if it. This was shot in one day and it was the first time I had a dolly at my disposal. Id be interested in hearing peoples comments about camera movement and lighting, etc. Thanks and enjoy.

andrew

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/30/333737/CUPOFTEA.mov

It looks good, I like the contrast. I can definitely tell it was the first time you used a dolly, however. Not because the moves were bumpy or anything (technically they were nice), but you used it quite a lot. Possibly too much. I think dolly moves are much better in moderation, and they should always be motivated by the story (perhaps it was difficult for me because I have not seen the rest of the film). I also am not sure of the choice not to show the fortune tellers face until they sit down, but again, that may be something I'm missing from earlier in the film. Exposure looks pretty good, it looks a little blown out in the establishing exterior shot, but that is always hard to judge on something compressed. Overall, the lighting looks pretty good. The key on the girl when they are seated is a little hard and sourcy for my tastes (maybe it would have been good to see a practical above the table if your going to have that hard of light, or soften it a little). It looked pretty good on the fortune teller, but in one shot you can see a shadow created by the rimlight on the rug behind her. All in all though, good work.

Hope that was helpful (and not too nit-picky)

Bryant Jansen

P.S. What were the technical details?(Camera, lights, etc.)