Final Cut 5 Books

Stephen Cross

Hi Guys,

First time post, long time fan.

I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions about the best books published on final cut pro 5. I am not after the basics but something to expand my editing techniques and perhaps learn some new things I thought not possible. I did a quick search on past posts but found nothing. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

I've found some interesting stuff in the Apple Pro Training Series. Check out Advanced Editing Techniques in Final Cut Pro 5 by Michael Wohl. Also, the Alex Van Hurkman books, Advanced Color Correction and Effects in FCP and Encyclopedia of Color Correction/Field Techniques in FCP, are great. I just picked up the latter and it's got a lot of useful, real world stuff.

Another book to check out is Larry Jordan's Final Cut Pro 5 Hands-On Training. It has a lot of good information and is presented in a different format that's a nice break from the Apple books. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I recall one thing I liked were the easily identifiable sidebars with tips/tricks and other useful information. He also has a newsletter you can side up for (whether you buy his book or not.)

These books are usually available at Barnes & Nobles/Borders/Etc and you might want to check them out before buying them. Often it's a case of "I know that, I know that" then you come across something and go "I did not know that. That's cool." And that pays for the price of the book. Beyond FCP, one book I like to glance through now and again is Bryce Button's Nonlinear Editing: Storytelling, Aesthetics, & Craft.

There are also a couple of good on-line forums on FCP that you should check out, including the Creative Cow, LA Final Cut Pro User Group, and 2-pop. Also check out Ken Stone (www.kenstone.net) - lots of indepth articles on specific topics in, and related to, FCP.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some excellent resources, but these are the ones I use.

Hope it helps!

Boyd McCollum

Documentary Filmmaker/Editor

Boulder, CO

I've found some interesting stuff in the Apple Pro Training Series. Check out Advanced Editing Techniques in Final Cut Pro 5 by Michael Wohl. Also, the Alex Van Hurkman books, Advanced Color Correction and Effects in FCP and Encyclopedia of Color Correction/Field Techniques in FCP, are great. I just picked up the latter and it's got a lot of useful, real world stuff.

Another book to check out is Larry Jordan's Final Cut Pro 5 Hands-On Training. It has a lot of good information and is presented in a different format that's a nice break from the Apple books. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I recall one thing I liked were the easily identifiable sidebars with tips/tricks and other useful information. He also has a newsletter you can side up for (whether you buy his book or not.)

These books are usually available at Barnes & Nobles/Borders/Etc and you might want to check them out before buying them. Often it's a case of "I know that, I know that" then you come across something and go "I did not know that. That's cool." And that pays for the price of the book. Beyond FCP, one book I like to glance through now and again is Bryce Button's Nonlinear Editing: Storytelling, Aesthetics, & Craft.

There are also a couple of good on-line forums on FCP that you should check out, including the Creative Cow, LA Final Cut Pro User Group, and 2-pop. Also check out Ken Stone (www.kenstone.net) - lots of indepth articles on specific topics in, and related to, FCP.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some excellent resources, but these are the ones I use.

Hope it helps!

Boyd McCollum

Documentary Filmmaker/Editor

Boulder, CO

Hi Boyd,

I cannot thank you enough for the information provided by your reply. It is informative and exactly the sort of suggestions I was after. I will be sure to get back to everyone on my choices and what I find most helpful.

Thank you again,