test shoot at 4000 asa !

Delorme Jean-Marie

hi all

i wanted to share a camera test a saw yesterday at an AFC conference in Paris.

The panavision team in Paris did 3 days ago a test shoot, an exterior/night in paris, a bridge on the Seine river and a cross road at the opera (with a bus, cars and traffic lights, under sodium vapors).

the test was done with an optimisation of gain, shutter and no additional light.

it's been graded on a luster incinarator and projected on a Kinothon 2K on a 21ft screen.

the result is crisp, no noise you can even see a plane light verry far away.

this is an extreme test that goes in the direction of the "apocalypto" scene of the tribe around the fire in the forest.

hi all

i wanted to share a camera test a saw yesterday at an AFC conference in Paris.

The panavision team in Paris did 3 days ago a test shoot, an exterior/night in paris, a bridge on the Seine river and a cross road at the opera (with a bus, cars and traffic lights, under sodium vapors).

the test was done with an optimisation of gain, shutter and no additional light.

it's been graded on a luster incinarator and projected on a Kinothon 2K on a 21ft screen.

the result is crisp, no noise you can even see a plane light verry far away.

this is an extreme test that goes in the direction of the "apocalypto" scene of the tribe around the fire in the forest.

thanks for sharing, Jean-Marie..based on the very positive feedback the genesis has been getting since it came out, I look forward to seeing it on set.

Jean-Marie, can you comment on the kind of subjects shot for the test and the camera settings? the thing I like the least about some of the Genesis footage seen to this day has been the obvious "video" motion smear when the shutter was set at >180°.

"the thing I like the least about some of the Genesis footage seen to this day has been the obvious "video" motion smear when the shutter was set at >180°."

The genesis can have this video look when you open the shutter for an additional stop or a motion blur effect, like in "apocalypto" ext/day in the rain forest, the chase scene with the pig.

This isn't the case in test i saw, they had to stop the lens down a bit because the lights on the bridge were to hot !

• Premium Member

Hi, thanks for posting this. I have a few questions about the test:

What was the shutter set at, 180? What lenses were used and at what stop? Did they happen to mention what the gain settings were? Were there any motion blur artifacts if the shutter was not set at 180?

Thanks!

hi

on both tests the cam was steady

test 1 : from the middle of a bridge, the seine river with flyboats and a bridge enlighted they told me they had to stop down the lens a bit

test 2 : nearby "the louvre" aera on the opera district (downtowne), camera is fix and buses and cars are passing by.

i don't know enougth about the conditions of this test but i'm doing a camera prep next week at panavision i'll ask them more questions about the test and a still or two.

• 2 years later...