The Travelling Players

• Premium Member

Yesterday I had the rare pleasure to watch Theo Angelopoulos 'The Travelling Players' at the BFI Southbank. This is apparently the only 35mm print still in existence and belongs to Angelopoulos himself. The film itself is very long (230 mins) and to be honest I did not find it as engrossing as his later films. There are a great many characters and I had trouble keepng track of them, because obviously he does not tell a conventional story and his camera is alwyas very distant from the people. Neverthelees there were some very beautiful and long shots in the film.

I love the look of that film. Really interesting shots that last almost a mag & never get dull. I love the blocking of the shots. I met the cinematographer, Yorgos Arvanitis, at Camerimage and he told me the whole film was shot with one lens! A 35mm. I feel sad that I will never be allowed to shoot a film with that purity & passion.

Glad you saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you here that his is the only print? I've seen it at least twice and I can't imagine he's sending one print out that often.

You are lucky to have seen this film, it is an excellent work by a master. It is also important as it is his first film to clearly display the style and thematic concerns which would later be indicative of all of Angelopoulos's work.

jk :ph34r:

• Premium Member

Geoff Andrew, the programmer of the BFI, introduced the film. I presume that that is only counting official prints, not the ones that various cinematheques over the world have in their archives.