• Premium Member

I just saw "Hero" and it was gorgeous. While watching the movie me and my friend just couldn't believe that this movie was done chemically. I guess that in an old issue of American Cinematographer they stated that supposedely no D.I. process was involved.

I am really looking forward to seeing this- it looks really great. In AC, it says, as Audiris says, that the green sequences were DI. The lake battle, falling under the title of green sequence, was DI, as well. Abou 20 minutes were DI.

That's what I thought. When they say only the green sequences were DI, I guess they are not counting FX shots, of which there were a huge number. Just the rotoscoping for the wire work must have been a quarter of the running time.

If anyone has more info on the post route I'd like to know. As the film started I was convinced I was watching a 2k DI - something seemed ever so slightly off - a little softness or something I couldn't put my finger on. Of course I adjusted and by the end wasn't sure I hadn't imagained it.

I saw this film over a year ago in the cinema, but I seem to remember that the scene with the green curtains was definitely DI.
The green curtains were indeed DI - done at Atlab, Sydney Australia. Chris Doyle chose different negative emulsions and filtration to push the reds and blues in the "red" and "blue" sections of the film, but relied on lighting and set design to help him out with the green. It became apparent that it wouldn't be enough, so we stepped in with digital grading. For the curtains (which were green on the set but for some reason just didn't reproduce so green) we had to rotoscope each frame in order to apply the colour correction to the curtains only.

The colour grader (Olivier Fontenay) actually travelled to the set (in a remote part of China) to see the colours and work with the cinematographer. You can't beat being there!

As someone else mentioned, it's all in AC for September 2003.

For the curtains (which were green on the set but for some reason just didn't reproduce so green) we had to rotoscope each frame in order to apply the colour correction to the curtains only.

Rotoscoping each frame sounds a bit excessive. If they were already green, and the only green in the frame, wouldn't a secondary color correction have been enough?