Losing Quality when down converting

John Carreon

Hey Everyone,

Post-Production is not my specialty...so please excuse the lack of knowledge. I have a basic home editing unit. Mac G5 with a few extra exterior hard drives...

If I shoot in HDV. Bring in the footage to FCP as HDV and edit as HDV...what are my options for a final out?

I don't have a Blue Ray/HD Disc Burner and even if I did...I don't know anyone that could watch it.

So do I just have to down convert or is there any other way of keeping it in HDV without having to down convert to crappy DV Quality?

Part two:

If I do down convert what is the best codec? IS there anything that's better than DV NTSC that I can burn onto a DVD or export into some other easily accessible format? Can I convert into 10 bit uncompressed? Will that be able to be exported onto a regular DVD?

I appreciate all and any info...I should just stick to shooting...

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!!

i recomend to do the down convertion in after effects or shake.

if can not do that export a final movie in uncompresses 10 bit, is gonna be 720x486 and then import in dvd studio pro and compress in 2vbr at 6.5 quiality.

when playind dv mocies in quicktime the quality is really but don know why. theres a soft called hi-qual (freeware) the solves this problem.

bye!!!

Treegan

Hey Everyone,

Post-Production is not my specialty...so please excuse the lack of knowledge. I have a basic home editing unit. Mac G5 with a few extra exterior hard drives...

If I shoot in HDV. Bring in the footage to FCP as HDV and edit as HDV...what are my options for a final out?

I don't have a Blue Ray/HD Disc Burner and even if I did...I don't know anyone that could watch it.

So do I just have to down convert or is there any other way of keeping it in HDV without having to down convert to crappy DV Quality?

Part two:

If I do down convert what is the best codec? IS there anything that's better than DV NTSC that I can burn onto a DVD or export into some other easily accessible format? Can I convert into 10 bit uncompressed? Will that be able to be exported onto a regular DVD?

I appreciate all and any info...I should just stick to shooting...

John