Leicina Special, replacing batteries

Lisa Davidson

Hi all,

Thanks for your prior help. Here's another one: I was trying to put the batteries in the Leicina Special for the first time. I got the forehead rest off, but taking it apart into two pieces is another matter. The manual isn't much help there. The alread-removed forehead rest (aka battery compartment) has two little black plastic projections. Do you slide and click them over, or do you just grab them and yank? I don't want to break it.

Thank you,

Lisa

Hi all,

Thanks for your prior help. Here's another one: I was trying to put the batteries in the Leicina Special for the first time. I got the forehead rest off, but taking it apart into two pieces is another matter. The manual isn't much help there. The alread-removed forehead rest (aka battery compartment) has two little black plastic projections. Do you slide and click them over, or do you just grab them and yank? I don't want to break it.

Thank you,

Lisa

If it's the same as the Leicina Super (which it probably is) there is a little tab on the lower side of the battery compartment. Squeeze and the two parts come apart easily.

Hope that helps.

Rick

If it's the same as the Leicina Super (which it probably is) there is a little tab on the lower side of the battery compartment. Squeeze and the two parts come apart easily.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Lisa, after I posted my first response I played with my camera again and my initial post made it sound easier than it is. The first time I opened it, after reading your post, the battery compartment popped out with the forehead rest and it was easy to separate the battery holder. I played with it again just now and often the forehead rest slips off, leaving the battery container attached, which is then hard to get out. This is probably the situation you were describing. I found that I just had to shimmy it out.

Anyway, for such a highly rated camera I find the design highly frustrating: whether it's the battery container, the film compartment (you can't run the camera when it's open) and the bizarre (to me) controls for the aperture. I have had this for a while but have not played with it since the lens is fogged.

Does anyone want to defend the design of this camera (the "super", maybe not the "special" since I assume it's a little different. Maybe I am an idiot.

Rick

Does anyone want to defend the design of this camera (the "super", maybe not the "special" since I assume it's a little different. Maybe I am an idiot.

Rick

Hi, Rick,

Thank you. No, you're not an idiot! The main difficulty with these cameras seems to be the fragile plastic construction of their interior parts. You try so hard not to force or break anything that it's really hard to get the pieces apart. I finally did figure out how to open the Special's battery compartment. You do have to bend the hard plastic a little bit, but it seems to survive all right.

People keep saying the Super's not that good. I love the Special, so far I think.

Lisa